5400rpm or 7200rpm HD for new 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosrocket, Sep 7, 2009.

1. cosrocket macrumors regular

I'd appreciate your opinion on if I should upgrade the 320GB 5400rpm that comes standard in the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro to the 320GB 7200rpm version, it's an extra $45. I'm planning on purchasing it tonight, thanks in advance, I did a search but the posts I found seemed to be from before the current MBP version.

2. cosrocket thread starter macrumors regular

I found a thread but it's from 2008, not about the current MBP

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I can't speak for the current MBP as I've got an older MBP. But with that said, I've found 7200 to be snappier on my MBP. With my video editing app, much less likely to drop frames. But the tradeoff can be somewhat higher thermal loading at times (which can indirectly bring out fan noise from higher RPMs) and I've heard, somewhat lower battery runtime.

For most part, I don't really notice the thermal output or noise; it's more likely fans would spin up from intensive CPU or GPU activity than HD temperature for me. (I keep an eye on this stuff for informational purposes, thanks to iStat on the menu bar.)

If your apps seems like it could benefit from 7200 RPM then I'd go for it.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

5400rpm drives are fine. Even for video editing which the biggest bottleneck is always CPU rendering power anyway.

They run quieter too and use just a tad bit less juice from the battery.

5. S4bell macrumors newbie

That's my question, kinda...

I was going to get the 320 GB 7200 RPM because I've read bad things about the 500 GB 7200 RPM and it'll be faster than the 500 GB 5400 RPM. I don't want to buy an aftermarket HDD because as soon as SSD are reasonable, that's what I'll put in. Will I notice a difference with the 500 GB 5400 RPM vs. the 320 GB RPM? I don't need the space (that's what externals are for) but I'm talking speed-wise? I do basic computing (surfing and word processing) with occasional photo uploading/minor editing with Lightroom.

Thanks!

6. bigcat macrumors 6502

The 7200 drive is noticeable faster. Get it if you can.

7. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

With the density of the drives now, I'd imagine there isn't too large of a gain. You may also encounter it being louder, hotter, and maybe even slight battery dip?

8. cosrocket thread starter macrumors regular

Hey I appreciate the responses. I did it with the 7200rpm drive as I'm usually going to be using it at home with an external monitor.