5400rpm vs. 7200rpm day to day use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gfrancetich, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gfrancetich macrumors newbie

Will I really notice a difference between a 5400rpm drive and a 7200rpm one? I'm not going to be using my laptop for anything that demanding, but are 7200 drives really that much faster? Is it worth 80 bucks?

2. Kristalghost macrumors member

me 2

Id like to know to.
    I'm currently using a PC but I'm looking to step over to mac (wohoo :D) and have a 5400 rpm HD and id love to know if its worth putting it in my 15 inch mbp.
    A benchmark would be perfect but any advise is as good.

Kristalghost

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

you would just notice a bit more "oomph" when opening tasks, copying and etc. if you have the cash - then sure invest in it. i would say its noticeable.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

It really *IS* noticeable difference, because HD is the biggest bottleneck of the whole system. I've been preaching this since june 2003 when first 7200rpm laptop hard drives became available.

And no, it does not draw more current nor does it run any hotter. In fact, it runs cooler because it does less work and more idling.

5. gfrancetich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. So my 13" MBP should be arriving tomorrow or friday. Do I need to do anything before I swap the drives out? I know that I'll need to reinstall leopard, but are there any other steps before I switch them?

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You should have gotten ssd , you would have notice the diffrence by alot

7. gfrancetich thread starter macrumors newbie

I would get an ssd, but I don't have the money to

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Just be sure to format the disk properly with Disk Utility during Leopard installation. Otherwise, you're all set. Enjoy the new hard drive!

9. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Cool. I'm glad I "downgraded" my 2.8Ghz MBP to the 320GB 7200RPM drive.

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

Spindle speed is nice, but there's a lot more to making a fast hard drive. The fastest 500GB hard drive at the moment is actually 5400rpm and not 7200rpm. Read this if you're interested:
    http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17010/14

11. Ploki macrumors 68020

it is noticable from the stock drive yeah.
    but ive read few reviews and Scorpio Black is not even that faster compared to Scorpio Blue.. few mbps.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

That is true in synthetic benchmarks like X Bench, but they don't tell the whole story.

During heavy multi tasking Black can be twice as fast as Blue.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/storage/intel-x25-m.aspx?page=6

13. sm0 macrumors regular

just spent the last hour reading up on this topic ( there are about 5 million threads on this same topic)

comes down to scorpio blue 5400 vs seagate 7200.4 and i am more lost than before my research..

which to get?

14. Philflow macrumors 65816

Uhmm let me see, 500GB Scorpio Blue performs a bit better, uses less power, makes less noise and costs less... I don't know :)

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17010/14

But if your after ultimate performance and don't care about battery life: WD3200BEKT is a bit faster. (or SSD of course)

15. Ploki macrumors 68020

just on a side note, battery life hasnt shortened even noticable with Scorpio Black in my unibody!
    it probably has a little, but not by much at all. as i said, unnoticable.. :)

16. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Ugh, seems they have a shortage of 7200 RPM drives.

I placed my order for a MBP 17" w/ 7200 drive on Monday, it still says 5-7 business days before shipping, estimated delivery 23-26 June.

If I go in and try to configure a MBP online it says 24 hrs by default.
    If I upgrade the processor or RAM it says 1-3 business days.
    If I upgrade to 7200 rpm it's 5-7 business days.
    If I upgrade to SSD it's 1-2 weeks.

I'd cancel the order and get the default config with 5400 rpm if I could, but after cancelling they (and/or the bank) hold on to my money for a week, so it would be 7 business days before I can place the order... zero gain.

17. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I just did that on the UK site. Seriously 7 days to add a different hard drive, seems a bit stupid.

18. larzy macrumors regular

larzy

What about vibrations on the 7200 harddrives - should I be concerned about this?

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah. I wonder if it actually takes that long, or if they add X days to discourage people from adding options. That way the sell larger volumes of the default components so they can get better prices on those, plus they can justify shrinking the range of options even more ("our statistics show that only 5% of our customers add options, so now we've removed options entirely").

I mean, there are only 32 variations on the MBP 17" (2 CPUs times 2 RAM configurations times 4 HDD/SDD options times matte/glossy), they sell thousands and thousands of these computers, do they really expect us to believe that they can't build a few of the most common configurations in advance? Major PC manufacturers like Dell and HP have a matrix of like a million variations on all their laptop models, yet every time I've ordered a customized Dell it ships the next day.

20. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

It seems odd that they wouldn't have these confugurations pre-built and that it takes 7 days is ridiculous. I am in the midst of asking for Macbook Pro for work but at the moment my boss is throwing valid arguments at me against Apple. This is one example. The other is here

21. Leo72 macrumors member

For instance, 7200rpm or faster speed is needed when music production is concerned. That's why i'm planning to buy a MacBook Pro with 500 GB 7200rpm hard disk (i'm going to use Sonar Home Studio XL :D)

22. Leo72 macrumors member

Besides, as far as i know, a fast hard disk is necessary for gaming.

23. Philflow macrumors 65816

Actually the 500GB/7200rpm drive (Seagate 7200.4) is often outperformed by the 500GB/5400rpm 500GB by Western Digital. Review. Even in multi media applications the Seagate 7200.4 does not do better. Benchmarks.

A fast hard drive will load levels quicker. It will not really influence in game performance.

Level load times: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17010/6

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I picked the Scorpio Blue over the Black because of this review from Techreport and several other similar reviews.
    It has performed flawlessly and is an awesome drive.
    I highly recommend it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]