5400rpm vs 7200rpm for iMac PATA-SATA Application

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dadioh, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I have a 2008 24" iMac with a 120GB SSD as the boot drive. I am going to replace my DVD drive with caddy with built in PATA (IDE) to SATA adapter. I plan on buying a 500GB drive and partition it for OS X home directory and the other half for bootcamp.

My question is, given that I am inherently slowed down by the PATA-SATA interface is there any point getting a 7200rpm drive or should I save the power and heat and just get a 5400rpm drive?

2. Coerce macrumors newbie

I did a bit of research into this when i put a similar pata-sata optibay in my 06 macbook. the pata interface (if the latest standard was used) had a throughput of 133MB/s, which was on a par with the sata1 interface on the motherboard (1.5Gb/s - 150MB/s). So, in effect, i had 2 sata ports, but the throughput of the 5400 drive couldn't saturate this anway (i read 50MB/s?)

So I'd imagine a 7200 drive would get closer to the max throughput of pata, and you'd notice a difference? With regards to heat, I'd assume there wouldn't be much of an issue, as people put them in macbook optibays?

3. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Thanks. The low risk approach would be for me to just get a 7200rpm drive. It is only $10 more and if I can't take advantage of the speed it doesn't matter. I agree heat shouldn't be an issue. There are 3 fans on the iMac and laptop drives are inherintly cooler anyways