5400rpm vs 7200rpm for MBP. Which to choose?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by penyekz, May 13, 2009.

1. penyekz macrumors newbie

I may be getting a 15" MB pro 320gb. Was just speccing out the systems on apple website and the 7200 is a $50 upgrade from the 5400. Is it a lot of performance difference? Does it suck more out of the batteries? Would love the SSD but its wayyyyy too pricey as an upgrade for the MBP.

My decision was between the MPA SSD 1.86 and MBP for which I started a tread earlier. I know it may not be a fair comparison but is there much of a difference between the MBA on SSD and MBP 5400/7200?

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I've had a 5400 (stock), SSD (Intel and Vertex) and now a WD Scorpio Black, following are my comments:

The 5400 was quiet and smooth but really slow
    The SSD were fast (but more so on paper) compared to the 7200 WD
    The WD Scorpio black actually boots faster than the SSD. The only time a notice that its slower is when opening Microsoft Word/Excel.

For the price, I'd go with a 7200 RPM drive...NO QUESTION ABOUT IT

Regardless of the computer, the SSD will open heavy duty apps faster by like 1 second...who cares is my thought though.

3. penyekz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm using a loan rev a MBA SSD now and its eerily quiet. Not sure how much slower a MBP with 7200 would be but 1 second is pretty acceptable.

How about battery life between the 7200 and 5400?

4. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Not sure on battery life, but I'd imagine not much difference.

I'm the type that likes to get the best available when it comes to computers. The SSDs are nice, but for the price and problems (b/c they are new) they are just not worth it IMO. Honestly, I was surprise at the 7200 scorpio black I have. If you want a MBP I'd say get one with a 7200 and you will be happy.

5. penyekz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be popping into the shops over the weekend and having a feel of the MBP. If I like it, may just go for it instead of the MBA. Thanks!

6. ZeroCorpse macrumors member

I have a 500 GB 5400 and it runs hot... I can't imagine the 7200 RPM is going to run any cooler!

Don't neglect ventilation when using it!!!