5400RPM vs 7200RPM HDTune Benchmark Results

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mklnz, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mklnz macrumors regular

Hi guys, I'm still eagerly waiting for my new Macbook to arrive (probably on Monday by the looks of things).

I did get myself a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 16MB Cache 7200RPM drive to prepare for it. So in the mean time I decided to use HDTune to check the difference between a Seagate 5400.3 Hard drive.

It looks like it is worth the upgrade :D I'll post real life testing later (e.g. boot time) when I get my Macbook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Interesting the burst speed is faster on the 5400rpm while the average seek time is the same.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

the transfer rate is faster, but if you're expecting to open your programs faster, then it'll be the same as before since access time between the two is identical.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

thanks for the info

Guess I'll just keep my hard drive. Did upgrade my 2.0 to 4 gigs ddr3, downloaded opera 6 point whatever, and this puppy really seems to fly now!

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

found something in other forum

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4076560#post4076560

Other forum was showing xbench results between someone who swapped out their 5400 for a 7200, and the results seemed to be pretty close. My results on my stock drive were similar. Has anyone performed the procedure yet (swapped for the faster drive), and what were the results? Also, do applications load faster? Does the machine boot more quickly?

I was getting ready to jump in my bug and drive to Best Buy, but I think I may hold off now, especially if I can't really tell a difference.

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Hey fuzzielitlpanda.

Opening up applications is determined by a mixture of access times and transfer rates. While the acces times are similar, the transfer rates of the 7200rpm are more than twice as high.

For some good comparisons between 7200rpm and 5400rpm launching times:
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/storage/intel-x25-m.aspx?page=6

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

clarification

Meaning that the applications will load quicker on the 7200, right?

8. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i read reviews on the 2.5" 7200 drives (i forgot where from) but they said this drive transferred big files fastest while the Hitachi 7k320 was a better all-arround upgrade. zipzoomfly.com has the 7k320 for $99 and then a $20 MIR

9. catgo macrumors member

I just swapped my drive for the seagate 7200.3 320GB from the 250GB 5400 rpm today. Boot time went down from 43s to 29s and apps do launch quicker. Word went from an astonishing 9 bounces to 6. And iTunes from 3 bounces to 1. To me, the upgrade is well worth it. Boot times are now close to my Mac Pro with a WD 640GB drive which is quite fast (22s). Hope this helps.

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes. If you look at the review, Scorpio blue is 5400, black is 7200.

11. YOKOJP macrumors member

Planning to do the same on my macbook 2.4ghz. How's the heat and noise on the new HD (seagate 7200) compared to the 5400 HD?

thanks in advance.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

Great to hear. Yeah how is the noise, vibration and heat?

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not to burst your bubble, but I just tested this bounce theory on my 250 5400. The first time I got 2 bounces, then a short delay, then iTunes opened. Then I quit it and tried again. 1 bounce this time, and no delay. There is obviously some system caching going on.

14. catgo macrumors member

Well to be honest I haven't noticed any increased noise or vibration due to the new drive, I haven't examined this carefully but by using the computer as I usually do, I have not noticed any differences in vibration, heat or noise.

I tested opening the apps when I had just restarted the computer, I know that once you open the app, the next time you open it it takes significantly less time.

15. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

thanks for the info. it looks like it depends on the programs being opened too. firefox and word, for example, have a very negligible difference (about 1 sec under normal conditions), whereas opening big programs like photo and adobe really showed the difference.

16. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes indeed, the large the files the more important transfer rates become.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am surprised to see this too. I would think seek time would be increased.

I respectfully disagree here. The seek time is not the only thing to consider while opening an application, you have to taken into consideration the transfer rate. At least that's what I've read.

There was a user on this forum who posted about a slight vibration occurring with their Seagate transplant. I tried to find it but I can't just yet. I am personally waiting on people's responses to noise, battery consumption, and vibration. As far as which drive, Seagate hands down. I won't buy a Hitachi as the Deathstar (deskstar) rings through my mind ... that being the only drive to have ever truly failed on me. (knock on synthetic wood).

18. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

well if a drive spins faster, of course there's going to be some vibration. honestly, if you look at all the things you worry about (noise, battery consumption, vibration), you are a perfect candidate for ssd:D.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have to say that although the Seagate drive is fast (improved boot times, app launches, etc.), they do vibrate more than the 5400 drives I have used. Its not much and its not a problem for me but it is there.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Never hurts to make sure.

21. YOKOJP macrumors member

if you change the Hard Drive would this void your warranty?

thanks in advance.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nope.

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

installed scorpio black

Installed scorpio black 320 gig, 7200 rpm hd last night. Ridiculously easy install. Don't seem to be experiencing undue noise or vibration, any more than with stock 5400 drive.

Have noticed less time to boot, power down, and launch applications. Happy with the swap, will be turning old drive into external hd