549 key positions in the administration need Senate confirmation. So far, Trump has filled 14.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mudslag, Feb 21, 2017.

1. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/2/21/14672984/trump-transition-slow

https://twitter.com/SenBennetCO/status/832297572932927489

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

4. mudslag thread starter macrumors regular

mudslag

Oh the irony of Mitch McConnell talking about obstruction. Let's go over a few more things.

First the obvious, Scalia died last February, the GOP obstructed Obama's, Right leaning, pick until Trumpel-thin-skin got elected.

Love Donnies quote "It is a disgrace that my full Cabinet is still not in place, the longest such delay in the history of our country"...........

"Bill Clinton didn't have his final spot filled until 11 March. Republican George HW Bush took until 17 March. Barack Obama holds the modern record, as his last pick - Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius - didn't get her Senate vote until 28 April."

He can't even get his picks in on time, he's as much responsible for the delay as anyone else.

"Mr Trump was also remarkably slow to come up with several cabinet picks. He didn't announce Veterans Affairs nominee David Shulkin until 11 January. Agriculture pick Sonny Perdue was unveiled just two days before inauguration on 20 January - an astounding fact, considering of Mr Trump's four predecessors, only four original nominations came after New Year's Day (George HW Bush's energy pick James Watkins was the latest, on 12 January)."

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Sigh..... I'm not talking about anyone but Trump in this. Old legacy obstructionism? Who cares. Not relevant.
    What I am looking for is a realistic opinion to a question and even supplied an alternative view.
    Yet you dive off into the past. Can we focus on the "now"?

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.

His party has majorities in both House and Senate. Yet he only has 14 of 549 positions filled. What is his delay, if all he needs to do is get a majority of votes from the Senate? He easily could have had all of them lined up and ready to go during the lame duck sessions, yet hadn't put his head in the game, and instead played to gloat.

Want to focus on the now? Sure. Where is Trump's head when it comes to getting these positions filled? Perhaps he should stop screwing with far-reaching executive orders and concentrate on getting his administration in order.

And to think he called his administration a "well oiled machine."

So, why isn't he prepared?

BL.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Good question. I know what I read and the reasons are diverse. Big question in my mind: if we removed the Demo slowdown, would we be any further along? Signs point to yes but fail to reveal how much farther....
    I'd of thought he would have had a more complete list ....

8. mudslag, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

mudslag thread starter macrumors regular

mudslag

You posted an article, what I responded with was directly out of that article with the exception of Scalia. You want the now yet you ignore the part that mentions Trump's own part in this with being slow himself to put forth picks. You want to ignore the points raised by the article YOU posted. If you wanted to ignore how it worked out for past Presidents, you shouldn't have posted the article that specifically talks about that while claiming "interesting viewpoint".
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---

How can he be further along if his list isn't even complete? From the original article "Trump has yet to nominate anyone to 515 of them". Trump is literally slowing his administration down.

Sorry but all credibility is lost when complaints of obstruction are made while at the same time trying to ignore the obstruction of the other side.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm ok with Trump keeping his administration down to a slack handful. Fewer people to screw up the world.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

From the Vox story.

President Trump is behind prior precedent. He is not behind in large numbers. If you think about the denominators, the differences are relatively small, but they are consequential and important in that these are critical spots. President Trump has submitted 34 nominations, and he has gotten 14 confirmed. At this stage in the game, President Obama had submitted 42 and had 28 confirmed — so double the number of confirmed folks. President Trump is certainly behind where Obama was at this stage, and he lags basically all recent presidents.

There is a tendency for people to compare to prior administrations. But that’s not giving the real context.

There is no other democracy on the planet that has as many senior leaders turn over when there is a new administration as we do in this country. And not just by a little bit — by a lot. So the truth is that no prior administration has done well. It typically takes in excess of a year for a new president to bring on board their core leadership group. In fact, oftentimes there are senior people leaving by the time the new administration is still filling key spots for the first time.

meh...

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

To be fair, some of the appointments may be made or consulted on by cabinet heads not yet confirmed. On the other hand if he plans to try to ditch some agencies like education and EPA, why make any appointments.

My theory is he’s on his way out, and knows it, so will let Pence pick a bunch of the rest. Pence is picking or having input on some of the newer ones anyway. e.g. Pence favored the new NSA guy, McMaster.

Interesting McMaster is not resigning from the Army for his NSA job.

Sigh. I wouldn’t mind moving someplace else but I don’t have a working spacecraft. Back to my other mode of transportation: the world of books and spring seed catalogs. :)

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be fair to McMaster, neither did Powell, under GHWB. Now, I can't remember if he retired during the Clinton years or if it was during GWB to become State Secretary.

And in a sense, I'd be glad if McMaster didn't resign. We don't want to have another Vietnam, where the military was at the mercy of the plans brought forth by civilians; look at the results of what happened because of that, outside of the subsequent book that McMaster wrote due to that bungling.

BL.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well your name is Ray Charles isn't it.

15. Rhonindk, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

My mistake.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Get a grip. Wow. Credibility? Get real and stop reading into the post.
    I asked if "symptom A" was removed would it be any further along.
    Next question would be to fix/remove "symptom B" would it be....
    Then for "symptom C" ....

Not looking for an all encompassing answer based on one point.
    Maybe we should just go back to the WP or Vox and the original liberal slanted article.

16. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The Dems don't hold enough clout to obstruct like the BBC claims. I'd say it's more of the senate taking it slow because they don't like DJT deep down. He's insulted pretty much everyone. The sooner Trump is out of office and Pence takes place or Ryan, if it comes to that, the better for this country. Say what you will about Pence, but he knows not to pull stupid moves like he did as governor.

17. mudslag thread starter macrumors regular

mudslag

This is a forum, conveying through words. All we have to go off of is entirely based on what is said. To complain about one side doing something while the other side does the exact same thing is hypocrisy, hence the reference to losing credibility. That comment was largely based on the article you posted where it mentioned McConnell talking about obstruction when he himself was one of the biggest obstructors to Obama but has no problem whining when the other side does it.

Don't take it so personal.

18. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Is there even enough billionaires and Goldman Sachs guys to fill all those positions?

He is going to have to look past all the billionaires, family, and friends he has in order to fill all those positions.

As far as obstructionism, that's an old, tired, useless claim. All parties obstruct each other. I think Obama got used to it so we didn't hear much whining, unlike the current administration.

Not to mention some of Trump's picks are so under qualified or controversial, by default they present challenges to the vetting process.

19. zin macrumors 6502

38 versus 34 nominations.

It's hard to believe four is the difference between the media fawning over you and proclaiming the sky is falling.

Vox is so bad it's not even funny.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

fair enough.

21. mudslag thread starter macrumors regular

mudslag

But he was only going to have the smartest and best people ever.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

I heard he was outsourcing the recruiting job to Russia

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He hasn't even nominated people to most of these positions.....

:rolleyes:

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I was very happy when I heard that. It means that the title General is far more important than that of Secretary. His number one allegiance is to his troops. He will not allow them to be put in harm's way for no damn reason.

25. zin macrumors 6502

Neither did Obama by this point. The article even says the difference is 34 to 42. That was the point.

Is 34 out of 549 compared to 42 out of 549 really that big of a difference to warrant the pile-on?