55% battery goes to 0% in 1 hour - brand new MBP 13.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrobsd, Dec 9, 2009.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

So, I turned the computer on from sleep tonight, and saw it had 55% remaining on the battery. I know that the second half of the battery drain is usually faster then the first, but surely on a brand new computer, it wouldn't drain that quickly? Or would it?

All I was doing was watching Brothers & Sisters on ABC's web site... So, yes, I was using the wi-fi. I had screen brightness dimmed to about 50%, and I turned the backlight off on the keyboard... So is 1 hour normal?

I noticed the fan was running the whole time. I didn't realize watching a video online would cause the processor to heat up so much!!

I checked the CPU utilization, and definitely Safari was cranking it up there...

So, what caused the drain? Is it the heavy CPU utilization which in turn caused the fans to kick in? How can I stream video online without causing my CPU to have a heart attack?

2. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, I should note on my PC running XP Pro, Firefox, Firefox.exe is 25% CPU utilized in normal size window, 40% in full screen mode, this being on a Core 2 Duo 6600 processor. ;)

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Just checked that website and it seems to be completely overwhelmed with flash commercials, so there's your problem. Stop visiting bad webpages.

4. macgirl89 macrumors member

Maybe try using Firefox on your Mac, too? It probably will take up less CPU than Safari.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

Check out Google Chrome. Seems to handle flash real well.

6. macgirl89 macrumors member

I'm trying to install the beta version for Mac and it just isn't installing. I clicked on "Click here if you had trouble downloading" and now it's just a neverending page loading. How'd you get yours installed? :confused:

7. WotanAgain macrumors newbie

8. macgirl89 macrumors member

How do I do that exactly? Do you mean the newest version of Java (which I thought I had)? How do I check if I have the latest version?

9. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Flash on Safari rapes your CPU as it loads a plug in.

Google Chrome is much better, no burnt thighs now.

10. vant macrumors 65816

no.

11. AaronX macrumors member

So you'd get 2 hours on a full battery, and you're running Windows? Sounds normal to me. Not that Windows is bad or anything, but it doesn't have OS X's power management.

12. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

chrome FTW!

flash eats the battery life like i eat my lunch at school:D

13. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh... Yeah so this is the age old Adobe Vs Apple problem. Flash works perfect on Windows... Well maybe not perfect, but pretty close. Maybe I should boot into Windows 7 instead of OSX when watching TV on my mac. :) Wouldn't that be ironic if the battery lasted longer with Windows inferior power management? ;)

I'll try the Google Chrome too. And to the person who said "Don't visit these type of web sites", what kind of idiot are you anyway? That's like telling someone "don't drive to work, walk" after they just bought a brand new car. Almost every web site uses Flash now, there is no way around it.... Especially if I want to watch ABC. Sure, I could buy the episodes in itunes, but why pay for what you can get for free?!

Another workaround would be for me to use Bittorrent or Rapidshare and download the xvid files and play them with VLC. I'm sure that wouldn't eat my battery or my CPU, in fact I know it doesn't since I watch other types of videos with that all the time. LOL

BTW, I don't know why Adobe and Apple can't just play nice. Neither of them is going away any time soon, so they better just suck it up and play nice (and also please Apple let Adobe work on the iphone too!!)..... Flash is working on other mobile platforms.

Oh wait we're talking about Macbook Pro here, sorry!

14. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Actually that comparison is incorrect. A more correct comparison would be you bought a car run it on ethanol, but it isn't working properly, so instead you should fill it up with gasoline.

There are alternitives. And the ABC site is very bad, too many flash things. Sure flash are on most pages, but not as much as ABC.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Flash is a resource hog, whether you are using Windows or Mac OS X.

If you booted into Windows 7 and did the same thing, I doubt you'd see any significant battery improvements when watching Flash based content.

Flash is horrific.. wish everyone would switch to HTML5, especially YouTube.

16. newdeal macrumors 68020

get flash 10.1 it will help decrease cpu utilization somewhat. Also if you haven't calibrated your battery you may want to do that as well