5870 with 30-inch apple display connected via DVI - Montior Doesn't Shut Off

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freedom42, Sep 10, 2010.

1. freedom42 macrumors newbie

I have a 12-core 2.93 GHz Mid-2010 Mac Pro with 5870 connected to a 30-inch apple display via the DVI port. Everything works fine except that when the Mac Pro is shut off, the monitor stays powered on. This clearly didn't occur with my older 2006 era Mac Pro, where on shutdown the 30" ACD shutoff.

If I power cycle the monitor (pull the AC plug), after the Mac is shutdown, the monitor stays off. Also if I push the monitor's power button twice after the Mac is shutdown the monitor decides to give up and shuts off.

Anyone else have this problem?

Know of a solution?

2. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

What do you mean stays on? The little white LED stays lit? I have a power meter on my wall (I am measuring my new Mac Pro power draw to see how much its costing me per month to run, just out of curiosity)

When everything is powered down, the power reads 2-5 watts. Even with the LED on or off, the only way to get rid of the 2-5 watt draw is the disconnect the power brick from the outlet.

3. freedom42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. The little white LED stays lit after the system shuts down.

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Is it in sleep mode or off totally? My LED light is OFF when the computer is on.
    When I have the mac on sleep, its breathing so to speak (meaning going bright then light). I am pretty sure its supposed to do that.

5. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Yea light is off when computer is on.

After sleep or shutdown, the LED comes on. I can then manually use the power button on the side to *fully* shut it off...

But, using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YQ19E2DH82WYSHZPX0N

and measuring the actual power draw of the monitor, when the monitor is on its ~ 150W, just like the spec says.

Then, measuring when I turn off the computer, but leaving it so the LED is still on, it draws 2-5 watts. If I then use the power button and *fully* shut off the monitor (LED is now off), it still uses ~ 2-5W (again jumps around between 2W and 5W). The power brick is probably the one drawing these idle watts. The only way I was able to get zero reading was the actually unplug the power brick.

So, long story short, the LED on or off matters not.

6. freedom42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel stupid. Turns out somehow the display on/off button configuration got changed from sleep computer to turn display on/off. With the former selection, the LED goes off when the system is off. When set to display on/off it does exactly that and the display's LED shows the display's on/off status.