5C in 2 years time.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krspkbl, Oct 9, 2013.

1. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I got to try out the 5C today at my local Apple store and I'm seriously considering buying one. I was dead set on a 5S up until today.

My question is simple, will Apple still support the 5C in 2 years time? I won't be upgrading to the iPhone 6 but the iPhone 6S/C (assuming this trend continues). How do you think the 5C will stand up performance wise/app compatibility and so on over the next 2 years?

I know the 5C has more or less the same insides as the iPhone 5. I just don't want to buy the 5C and then find out it slows right down or isn't supported within the next year or two.

Thank you!

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

in 2yrs the 5C will be prob the slowest or the 2nd slowest one to get the latest iOS w/ many features stripped down. Newer apps will run slower especially if make devs make the 64bit jump a standard and we suddenly have some more ram on the iPhone 7 or something.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The 3 year old iPhone 4 is still supported and runs the latest OS, and the 2 year old 4s just became the new "free" iPhone, so it's going to find a lot of new users, so I doubt the 5c will become obsolete quite so fast.

4. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

The iphone 5c is already 1 year old, so in 2 years it will be 3 years old.

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Read the post above yours.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I should also mention that I'm still rocking a 3Gs until my 5s (finally) arrives. Even though it doesn't run the latest OS, it still runs all the apps that I actually use. "Obsolete" is a subjective term.

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

8. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

K? And the iphone 4, while supported for ios 7, sucks on ios 7. It's like an iphone 3g on 4.0!

Realistically you are looking at one more ios update before poor performance.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Maybe one is enough? I don't think comparing a 3G on iOS 4 is a great comparison. To be honest I believe Apple will ride this 5c thing out as long as they can. But I'd say you are probably right one major iOS update and one watered down one and by then the iphone 6s will be out will the 6c maybe

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Incorrect. iOS on the iPhone 3G was a mistake by Apple. People have to realize the iPhone 3G and original iPhone 2007 was essentially the same phone (same processor, same RAM, same camera). Only thing really difference besides change to plastic because of the antenna was blocked by aluminum was additional of GPS and 3G chip.

iOS7 on iphone 4 is slower but not SLOW like iOS4 on iphone 3G.

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This. Is spot on.

12. Nated macrumors newbie

I purchased an iPhone 4 when the 4s was released, and I just purchased a 5c

I had absolutely no issues with my iPhone 4 coming into the 5c. There were a few obvious missing features, like Siri, but if the iPhone 6 brings along features like that they will be missing for 5s users as well.

Admittedly, IOS7 was a bit sluggish on the iPhone 4. But IOS7 came only a week before the iPhone 4 3 year anniversary and a week away from having an upgrade available on contract to those who purchase a generation behind. So, potentially with the 5c you may have a week of slow OS in 2 years time.

As for apps, I am a casual app user, but every app I encountered worked fine. Ridiculous Fishing is the most CPU intensive app I used, so if you're a hardcore mobile gamer there may be issues.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the iPhone 5c will be working just fine in 2-3 years.

Apple has never made a 700 dollar phone that becomes obsolete within 3 years ... the 5c will be working similar to how it does now in 3 years. :apple:

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Buy it. Enjoy it. It'll be supported and snappy.

15. krazykleo macrumors regular

I have my 3GS that doesn't work properly(won't find and connect to a wifi connection unless it's in my living room lol and the mic doesn't really work properly and other things) but it ran iOS 6 just perfect. Ran all the apps I needed like youtube, chrome blah blah.

Now I'm rocking my 5C for a proper working phone lol :)

I'm never gonna get rid of my 3GS. That phone is a beast having survived sooooo much abuse lol <3

16. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

For the average consumer it will be fine. People are still going about happily on iPhone 4's and 4S's. Mostly because they don't know any better or don't care. Lot's of people have higher priorities in life than a phone and to them it's just something to make a call, text or check facebook on.

My girlfriend is indifferent to iOS 7 on her iPhone 4 meanwhile I find it borderline unusable (not to say it's a bad phone). It all depends on the person.

17. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

bestbuy will be giving 50$ gift cards with the 5c this weekend.

18. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yeah... It's not going anywhere anytime soon. Apple has put a whole lot of effort into the 5C

19. maffiaavc macrumors newbie

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Apple is supporting the iPhone 4 three years after it's release, so I feel that the iPhone 5c will be fine for at least another two, if not three years with no issue.

21. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It will be well supported for at least another two years, if not another three.

I'd just like to chime in with the 3GS nostalgia for a moment - my old white 3GS is still kickin' today. I had it unlocked by AT&T and use it as an international travel phone these days, a task that it performs with aplomb!

22. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

I went with a 5C I prefer it over the 5s for some odd reason.

My only advice is to make sure you get the 32GB model. Green too ;)

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm not disagreeing but it's still supported technically. Heck even the 4S isn't that smooth on iOS7.

24. ipodsnacks macrumors newbie

Well once the 6 comes out, people are going to drop everything they have and get that one regardless. Though I wouldn't worry about the 5c's own ecosystem.

We still have apps that aren't updated for the iPhone 5.

Apple wants to keep it a top priority for as long as they can even if they have to put new chips in it.

25. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

A 5C in two years is just like having a 5 that is three years old. 5C and 5 are the same so the two-year-old 5C will be way outdated. Sorry but 5C was outdated technology when it came out.