5C Tick Tock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roxics, Sep 24, 2013.

1. roxics macrumors regular

Do you think the 5C will be on a tick tock updating cycle the way the flagship model is, but staggered every other year opposite the flagship? For example this year during the 5S launch we got a new 5C, so next year when the iPhone 6 comes out we will get a refined 5CS with the 5S components.

Or do you think that the C model will always be just a less expensive colorful plastic version of the flagship with lesser components?

What happens next year to the free on contract model, will it be this years 5C? If so will it be one color, one capacity? What color? I would think white. But it could be whatever color proves most popular this year.

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Depends why they did it this year. If the 5 case was to expensive to produce at a discount, the 5s will be as well. The 6 case may be cheaper, negating a need for a 6c. If the 5s was about marketing, giving folks a shot at colors, then it depends on sales. Good sales, they'll keep doing it, bad sales, they won't,

3. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. Though I would argue a couple reasons for the existence of the 5C.

The first being what you already pointed out, the expense of the 5 shell along with quality control issues.

But I think another big reason is variety. If you walk into any cell phone store you are bombarded with Android phones to kingdom come. Usually only a small stand in the opposite corner showing off two iPhones. So from the average consumer perspective the choice to go Android seems simple given the variety. Especially when they find out the $99 iPhone is last years model. They don't want last years model, they came in for a "new" phone.

I think the 5C exists to add variety and newness. With five colors Apple has basically created the illusion that there are more new iphones then there really are. Now you have three colors in the 5S, five colors in the 5C and the 4S to select from. Three different body styles in a variety of colors. Something more visual than just storage capacity choices when sitting on a store display.

As one company making the whole widget, they can't compete with all the Android manufacturers pushing all their body styles and choices without doing something like they are doing with the 5C and 5S.

So with that philosophy in mind, I think the C model will continue to be around so long as Android continues to push the variety of choices it does.

4. X-Ravin macrumors regular

It will all come down to margins and yield. I'm pretty certain the 5c is in existence due to low yield on the 5 cutting into profit margins. Now that it isn't the flagship, they were able to redesign to a higher yield design. If the 5s has a high yield, then there might not be a 'c' model next time. But since the 5 and 5s are similar my guess is that they will put 5s guts into the 6c.

People knock the 5c, but I don't think it was intended for big sales at launch. It is intended for families with 3 kids who want to save money on upgrades. Mom or Dad gets a 5s, the rest get 5c's which saves $400 up front. In the past they would buy the previous model to save money, which would have been the 5. So Apple is exploiting that by increasing profit margins through the 5c.