5c wi-fi calling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kenscanon, Oct 5, 2013.

1. kenscanon macrumors newbie

My girlfriend is on T-Mobile and we don't always have the best coverage at our house. She says it's not the biggest problem because her Android phone just makes calls over wi-fi when necessary.

I was thinking about switching to T-mobile myself soon, and was probably going to pick up a 5c. My question is this: is the 5c also capable of wi-fi calls like my girlfriend's android?

Thanks

2. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

If I'm not mistaken, T-Mobile has a Wifi calling feature that you can add to any smartphone plan. Not sure how much extra per month tho.
    For iPhone calls to iPhone/iPod touch, there's now FaceTime audio built into iOS 7

3. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Don't think the iPhone supports wifi calling

You can add the wifi calling plan on but if the phone doesn't have that functionality, it's not going to help you

4. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Put the Vonage app on your phone. You can make free outgoing calls over wi-fi and you can even set it up to show your normal number on caller ID. Doesn't work for incoming calls though. I guess just make sure you leave your phone where it has signal.

5. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

6. rdy0329, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Here are some sloutions:

1. Both of you get iPhones for Facetime Audio (calls over wifi/3G/LTE) <-this is the most seamless way because calls come in like a regular call.
    2. Get the same apps available on Android in iOS (Skype, KakaoTalk, Viber)
    3. Change carrier?

7. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Talkatone. Works on iOS and Android. Uses a Google Voice number. Free WiFi calling, free SMS/MMS. The thing about Talkatone is that unlike many of the other apps it does not require the person you are calling/texting to have Talkatone.

It would mean using a Google Voice number though.

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Facetime audio is great for anyone with an iOS7 device. Talkatone works too, but i never have good quality with google-voice services.

10. cynics macrumors G3

I've found talkatone to be the best solution for using wifi calling. Only downside is using a Google voice number.

FaceTime is great too but requires everyone you are ever going to be calling to be using an iOS device. That's just silly to rely on that IMO.

11. kenscanon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. For some reason I didn't receive email notifications.