5D Mark II 1080P Video Footage of Snow in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dlsrvids, Dec 21, 2008.

1. dlsrvids macrumors newbie

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Hi,

I'll be sending you my dentist's bill. I sustained serious injury when my jaw slammed against the floor.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Very impressive! technically and from an artistic standpoint.

Makes me want to go buy a Sony HD Handycam.

4. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I am not too surprised that the video output from the 5DmkII is so awesome. Although I am very impressed, and it really makes me want to spend the money for one :)

Canon unlike Nikon actually has some (just a few decades) experience with video and CMOS sensors, and this video just proves that the video output from a DSLR camera can be more than just a gimmick as it is on the D90...

I will be eagerly awaiting the frames and rigs that allow the ergonomics of this camera to be more suitable for video use.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

6. wheelhot macrumors 68000

7. 103734 Guest

Im not sure about it being a gimmick, all these shots are just of snow falling, while they do look very nice I want to see some fast action shots. Im sure besides the lower resolution the D90 could replicate the shots from the video.

8. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Everything I've heard on the D90 video is it produces video that you would expect out of a still camera, whereas the 5DmII happens to out perform Canon's current HD Cameras (`Source - search to where he gets to film Reverie.

9. termina3 macrumors 65816

WOW

That's amazing quality. I'd want to see it on a big screen, in big format, before I say anything beyond that, but WOW.

10. 103734 Guest

What im saying I want to see how this thing works without a tripod. Have you seen that guys setup? Its freaking amazing, Im not saying its not a very very good video camera, im just saying that with the same setup on the D90 you could make a very nice video, yes the 5D video will look better but im sure the D90 video will hold its own.

11. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Have you seen the video output of the D90?

Everything I have seen and read about the 5DmkII's video is that there are not the same sorts of problems with the rolling shutter. Which makes sense because canon has been using CMOS sensors in their professional video cameras for years and know better than anyone how to solve the problem.

Hell even the RED One suffers from "rolling shutter syndrome" to some extent.

12. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I'm a Nikon guy and I think the D90's video is a gimmick.

13. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I was in Salem Oregon over the weekend and they had a display model. I was so overjoyed to just hold one in my hand, and with the 17-40 F4L on it to boot. Sadly, I didn't have my gear with me so I couldn't grab a CF and play around.

A few days later I was in Portland and stopped in one but they had sold the display model. I'm going to hit up some stores tomorrow with one of my L's and a CF Card and take some pictures and video just to see. I know it'll be lame in-store pics but I'd like to see this. I'll get some fast movement to see how it captures it and post it for you.

14. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

15. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Those opening shots are beautiful. I'm impressed how well the mist is captured.

I'm curious... how compressed is the posted video and what file size are you looking at? It seems to play really well so it would be beneficial to know how it was encoded.

16. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i **** in my pants watching this vid. HOLY ******************

thats nice! makes me want to buy a Canon 5D. but if only if i had the money!! T_T

17. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Testicle Tuesday Batman!!! I have lived in Las Vegas for over 20 years and i have never seen it look so beautiful. Keep up the good work, and please, please keep sharing!