5D mark II with FCP 7 with MBP 2.93GHz - no real time effects ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by joecool99, Mar 20, 2010.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

i've original H.264 at 1920x1080 footage from 5D mark II in latest FCP 7.

i'm really bumped that i cannot see an effect that i can review in real time!
    Something as simply as applying slow motion, 30% speed, the time-line bar does RED and when i try to play the clip it says UNRENDERED.

Why is that ? Doesn't it supposed to manage to calculate stuff like that in real time ?

What am i doing wrong ? I remember when i fooled around in Adobe Premiere CS4, it does pretty much all stuff in real-time preview.

MBP 2.93GHz, 8GB RAM. the footage is on FW 800 RAID 0 drive.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

H.264 is not a supported Real Time codec in FCP and isn't a good codec to use for editing anyway. The standard workflow is to transcode the h.264 files into ProRes.

Lethal

3. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

Thanks. i didn't know that only certain codecs are supported real-time preview.
    I'm encoding it into ProRes 422 now.

ps: is there a ROLLING SHUTER plug-in fix for FCP 7 ? I know there is one of Adobe aftereffects.

If not, what would be the best workflow order ?
    5D raw H.264 footage -> compressor to ProRes -> After Effects rolling shutter = cleaned up RAW footage ?
    Will AE save it as ProRes, preserving the right codec ?

4. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

Reimported the ProRes files. Speed changes are now previewed in real-time.
    However, simple stuff as color correcting still asks to render.

Is that normal ?

5. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Not sure if it's normal, but I dohave the same problem with ProRes encoded footage from my 7D in FCP. Even just adding text overlays forces it to render.

6. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

Realtime effects render Adobe Premiere CS4 vs. FCP 7

Very disappointing to hear. I wanted to give FCP a chance, but honestly this poor support of real time rendering is far behind Adobe Premiere.
    Isn't there a setting that will enable render real time preview properly ?

Even lower quality and less fps ?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are you sequence settings correct? Have you tried adjusting the properties in the RT menu (button labeled "RT" on the left hand side of the Sequence above the video track names). The 3-way Color Corrector is one of the effects that should be real time, but if you drop it on a speed changed clip you'll probably get a render bar.

Lethal

8. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

Sequence settings ? Please explain. I tried some other settings in the RT, but it doesn't seem to effect anything.

Yes, if i combine color with speed change for example, it asks for render. Is that really all it can do ? Are film editors really working this way and rendering everything 20x till they get it right since you cannot see decent real-time preview ??? I just don't get it.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The settings (codec, frame rate, frame size, etc.,) of your sequence (aka timeline) have to match the footage you use exactly otherwise you are telling FCP to render the source footage to match the sequence. Have you changed the default rendering quality to High Precision YUV? What color are the render bars you are getting? You've gone from Safe RT to Unlimited RT and changed the w/the frame rate and image quality settings and nothing changed?

I have a first gen Mac Pro and w/a 1920x1080 ProRes 422 clip, sitting on a normal, internal eSATA drive, I applied a 200% speed change, 4 text layers, and 20 3-Way Color Correction filters. W/RT Set to Safe and the frame rate and image quality set to dynamic I get a green render bar. The playback is slightly stuttery and the image quality is a little soft but it's more than good enough to see what's going on. I then double the ProRes 422 clip (including all 20 CC filters) onto track 2 and dropped the opacity to 50% and that get me a red render bar. I changed the RT setting to Unlimited and it changed to an orange render bar. The frame rate and image quality were degraded even more but it was still clear enough to judge what was going on.

I don't know how the first gen Mac Pros compare to your MBP speed wise, but changing the RT settings should have a noticeable effect.

No offense, but going by this thread so far I'd say you don't get it because you don't know how to use it.

Lethal

10. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

11. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

When i dragged the clip over, i was asked to adjust the sequence attributes to the clip settings, so i believe it's right.

Now, when switched from SAFE RT to UNLIMITED, it actually renders color and speed changed. The top timeline bar is red. What does the color of the bar indicates ? Does it estimate performance ? For some reason it's never green.

Unless i changed the video quality to medium, then the bar goes green.

Guilty as charged, i've spend only few hours with FCP. I;m just finding out what does what. Thank you.

The unlimited RT forces the system to render all as best ignoring the video preference playback ?

Attached Files:

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Check out Chapter 28 in the FCP manual, it explains everything about how RT works in FCP and all the settings. The complete manual is included w/FCP as a PDF under the "Help" menu in FCP.

Lethal

13. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

This plugin doesn't address the rolling shutter does it ?

film hi-end 3D rendering is a bit different in comparison to few effects on a RAW video footage.

14. handsome pete macrumors 68000

You're probably thinking about this plugin:

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=47C4AB50-4636-4326-87D1-FB380B2119EF

It will help a little with skew and such, but the main purpose of the plugin is for motion tracking.

As for your rendering issues, as suggested earlier, take some time reading the Final Cut documentation. It really sounds like you're completely unfamiliar with the software.

15. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

FCP 7 preview quality and export output

i'm confused about the quality i get in previews and exported clips compared to the original clip.

What am i doing wrong ? The footage was from 5D mark II transcoded to ProRes at 720 x 486.

the time-line has green bar, the RT set to high quality. the sequence has 720 x 480 (for some reason i cannot match it the 720 x 486) ???

from the screen shot you see the quality difference, same clip.

Attached Files:

16. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99