5Ghz wifi connection not holding

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ben1l, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

Is anyone finding that their iPhone 5 is not holding connection to a 5Ghz wifi network? Keeps dropping connection. Connecting to a Time Capsule?

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

God I hope not but I will test later. I have the newest TC model. I'll report back once I receive mine in the mail.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Lost Network Connection ...

... "Your iPhone could not be restored because you are no longer connected to the Internet"

Seem to have the same problem with mine, the wifi signal drops to nothing then the iCould restore fails. Sitting on my MBP with 100% wifi signal strength but the wifi bars on the iPhone keep fluctuating.

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

At work we have a Linksys WRT610N Dual Channel setup and I will test here as well. Forgot to add that earlier to see if it's a TC thing or 5GHz in general.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Solved the restore problem by putting my phone literally on top of the AP, still patchy wifi signal in the rest of the house.

6. UTVOL06 macrumors member

UTVOL06

I've always found the 5Ghz signal weak on a dual band router..stick with 2Ghz..maybe this is a software fix. My apple tv 1080p cannot stay connected to my router upstairs on 5Ghz, but is perfect on 2Ghz.

7. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

5GHz isn't as strong. 2.4GHz will reach further. Always been that way with any router I had that was Dual-Band. For me using 2.4GHz interferes with wireless headphones so I can't use it.

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The problem is that 2.4 is a very congested bandwidth in most neighborhoods. In addition, microwave ovens, many phones, and even wireless soundbars use 2.4Ghz. Therefore, even though 5Ghz doesn't have the raw range of 2.4, it can still be strongly preferred just based on fewer devices out there and a far greater number of channels to choose from within the range. I really hope this is a small fluke and not a big issue. Our iPhones are the only remaining devices in the house on 2.4 and I'm looking forward to a 5Ghz only environment!

9. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Just been checking using a different AP and I have the same problems with 2.4GHz so my issue isn't related to 5GHz. I guess I'll just have to call up apple support.