Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sn0op

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Belgium
Hello everybody,

During the holidays I started a threat about buying an Ipad for the university, some guys were saying it was quiet useful but that is was up to me to know; so after 3 weeks since the start of my second year in medecine school i realized it would be a waste of time, but I still want something that could help me to be organized, never miss an assessment/a task for some courses/...; to read my mails, take quick notes, use some usefull aps, gps, relax withsome games, ect ect (and my actual cellphone is the crapiest Android device ever made and I'll break it in pieces if I don't change).
So I was wondering if an Iphone would be a good choice ? I live in Belgium so the 5s/5c aren't out yet and I can't get my hands on it...I was thinking about finding a remaining Iphone 5 in a shop, hopefully priced around 499 (if it's possible ??); but I'm worried about the battery life and the fact that it'll be quickly updated with the new 64bit OS of the 5s.
I don't have a limit but I don't want to walk around with 700 euros (more than 800$) in my pocket everyday...
Do you think that the Iphone 5 still has some years of durability or do I need to aim high and take the 5s ? (i don't like the 5c design that much, the vivid colors are going to be annoying after some months...); and is there a big difference with the battery life between the 3 models ?

Thanks you very much for your help ! :)

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
Hello everybody,

During the holidays I started a threat about buying an Ipad for the university, some guys were saying it was quiet useful but that is was up to me to know; so after 3 weeks since the start of my second year in medecine school i realized it would be a waste of time, but I still want something that could help me to be organized, never miss an assessment/a task for some courses/...; to read my mails, take quick notes, use some usefull aps, gps, relax withsome games, ect ect (and my actual cellphone is the crapiest Android device ever made and I'll break it in pieces if I don't change).
So I was wondering if an Iphone would be a good choice ? I live in Belgium so the 5s/5c aren't out yet and I can't get my hands on it...I was thinking about finding a remaining Iphone 5 in a shop, hopefully priced around 499 (if it's possible ??); but I'm worried about the battery life and the fact that it'll be quickly updated with the new 64bit OS of the 5s.
I don't have a limit but I don't want to walk around with 700 euros (more than 800$) in my pocket everyday...
Do you think that the Iphone 5 still has some years of durability or do I need to aim high and take the 5s ? (i don't like the 5c design that much, the vivid colors are going to be annoying after some months...); and is there a big difference with the battery life between the 3 models ?

Thanks you very much for your help ! :)

the iPhone 5 is a fine phone, the battery life is fine. I haven't personally tried it with iOS 7.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
A 5 with iOS7 is fine, won't be out of date for a good couple of years yet. I just upgraded from a 5 to a 5s and my gf has a 5 running iOS7 and it's great. :)

It may be cheaper to buy one used or from eBay as 499 for a model due to be replaced soon might not be the best idea, unless your desperate?!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The 5 with iOS 7 is a dream.

Forget about the 64 bit, yes it has a future , but it will not mature till iPhone 6 or 6s are out.

I have gone software released on both windows and mac that went to 64bit, more trouble then it was worth on the first year, once it matures it makes sense . The iPhone 5s is not a serious 64bit leap, cause if it was they would not have gimped it with the memory .

And I own both the 5s and 5. Day to day tasks I cannot see the performance increase the new CPU brings. They really are that close.

Buy what you can afford.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.