5S and 5C drop test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JetBlack7, Sep 20, 2013.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

What a wast is the first thought that comes to mind.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My thoughts are always the same.

More money than sense and don't drop your phones.

3. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I find drop tests quite fun to watch. Sure it's a waste of money but hey, it's their money not mine.

Anyway, both phones held up pretty well, but when you drop any phone screen first onto concrete it's bound to shatter.

4. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

Sometimes you could not avoid drop your phone or tablet. Accidents do happen. My mother droped my iPad Mini and the screen got cracked and leave noticeable dent on one corner of iPad. I also droped my phone several times, but luckily, i have the defender case.

5. takeshi74, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Such tests are fairly pointless regardless of what is being dropped.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

From a business standpoint, anything popular is automatically worth doing. 27k views already and probably a million by years end? That's a lot of eyeballs for less than two grand in outlay.

7. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Will it blend?

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm disappointed...

I thought for sure the 5C would surely bounce higher than the 5S -- but the 5S easily out-bounced the the polycarbonate clad 5C.

I'm rethinking my purchase now.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Will it bend?

11. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

I think it will.

12. cynics macrumors G3

You guys ever drop your phone and think you are actually an amazing soccer player that can catch it with your foot to only find out you are not?

13. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

So you think a phone might land...?

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

My wife once reached for her phone from her bag, it slipped, hit the pavement and slide 20 feet away. That's how phones fall or they bounce on the corners.

What is the purpose of holding the phone flat as you drop it? That's not even in any naturally position when you are using it.

15. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

It might land in a variety of positions. I say this video does not demonstrate something impossible, but i also say that they might fall like that. Just depends on the situation.

16. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Get a wife who drops her iPhones flat as shown in the test. .....:D

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Echo the opinions of others, what a waste. This is particularly so because the 5s is so hard to come by. Buying it just to break it, doesn't seem right.

18. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It was only a matter of time before someone wasted $700

Another drop test. Sorry if it's been posted, I've been using my magic mouse and playing GTA lol

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have a wife..she reached for her iphone once from her bag and the thing fell and slide across the pavement. :eek: Luckily we keep our phones in a Speck Candyshell case so only the case got all scratched up.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

People get far too worked up about these drop tests. You'd think he was dropping babies?

It's important to remember that this isn't being done for fun or just for the shock value of seeing someone damage something expensive. It's informative. As someones who's currently waiting for my new 5s to arrive, I've been putting a lot of thought into whether I will put it in a case or not. As it is, I currently carry my 3Gs caseless. I personally found it very helpful to see that the 5s survived multiple drops from multiple positions on a hard surface and only received superficial damages.

Also note that Apple no doubt does their own stress and damage tests behind closed doors, but consumers just don't get to see it. It's no different than car makers doing crash tests. If I'm going to invest a lot of money in a product, I greatly appreciate getting to see how durable it is.

21. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I'm sure ad monetization offsets the price of the phones. Without the videos the income wouldn't be there so it's not like they could be using the money on something different.

22. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

waste of time. just as the whole "unboxing" videos.

23. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I held my breath when I dropped my original iPhone. I was standing in a blacktopped driveway, the device was in one of those reasonably protective Incase soft cases around back and sides, and the thing fell about 30 inches. No harm done but I had one of those slo-mo event experiences, where three-quarters of a second or whatever it was seemed like five long minutes.

I've kinda coddled the 4S in its bumper (and keep it jacketed in a Waterfield suede sleeve in my handbag) but no problem even after all this time, so not going to start worrying over it now.

Not concerned about the 5C (in an Apple case) even if the glass is raised off the surface of a table just a tiny bit when placed face-down on the front rim of the external case. If I haven't busted the 4S yet making that kind of set-down, don't think I'm going there with the 5C either. But, I might look into a Waterfield jacket for the 5C too, if they will be making one that accommodates the device in Apple case. I like the jacket that has a black stretchy-mesh pocket in front for earpods (and money or a credit card if I'm just out and about on foot).

24. cube macrumors G5