5S AT&T Next Users Upgrade to iP6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StuddedLeather, Sep 3, 2014.

1. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

So just like most others around the forums I'm excited about the upcoming launch/announcement of the iP6!

I upgraded last year from my iPhone 4s to the 5S and I gave the AT&T Next plan a shot (In short I liked it and wanted to do the same for the 6.) So I checked my upgrade status and this was what I saw. . . (See attachment below)

I was so pissed because I was like "I thought I could upgrade every year! Why do I have to wait so long?" (Yes, first world problems! lol) Then I remembered, it took a while last year to actually get my Gold iPhone so I claimed down. I figured let me call AT&T and see what can be done, if anything at all.

I spoke with the Rep and she informed me that yes I can upgrade! All I have to do is pay off the remaining month of my Next plan which is $32 IF the iPhone comes out this month (which it will). So for those of you with an iPhone 5S on AT&T and Next we can upgrade as long as we're willing to pay off the remaining Next balance and trade in our previous model.

Lastly, which I highly didn't believe but I'll share, the rep asked if I knew much about the new iPhone 6. I was like "No, not much I wish I did!" (Clearly lying as if I'm not on this forum everyday or an avid Apple guy :rolleyes: ) She told me stuff we already know BUT she also said AT&T Preorders will be Sept 9th after the Keynote or Sept 10th. Doubt it but we'll see!

She also said they got trained today on the new software (iOS8).

Attached Files:

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd be a super happy camper if pre-orders started Sept. 9 or 10 :D

:apple:

3. iOz macrumors regular

Why would you have to turn the 5S in if you pay it off? That doesn't make any sense.

4. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I believe he meant payoff the remaining 1yr balance. So if he is on next but 10 months in, he'd pay the remaining 2 months to complete his "12 month lease" turn in the device and lease the new one

5. iOz macrumors regular

Gotcha, that make sense. Thanks.

6. StuddedLeather thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is correct. On Next you're pretty much "leasing/renting" the phone. That way you'll be able to upgrade every year for a new phone if you want, which is what I like it for.

I do have 2 more payments to 'pay off' my Next Balance. . . meaning after I pay that off I can start a new Next 12 Month plan for the iPhone 6.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You're only "leasing" the phone if you trade it in every 12 months. I keep my phones and they are paid off, so I own them. I like to use my old phones as back ups or pass them down to other family members who want it.

8. StuddedLeather thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah, on Next that's really the point. Hence why you have the option for a 12 Month "leasing" plan then the ability to upgrade and trade in. I only use Next because I like having the latest tech and can't justify waiting 2 years when I know something new is available, that's just me though.

Unless like you, you want/need to keep the phone because you want to own it in the future you don't really benefit from using Next.

9. Primejimbo, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

Primejimbo macrumors 68040

But it's either Next or a 2 year contract. If you're buying the phone out right, you're getting the same pricing plan as you would using Next. So yes there is a benefit using Next when paying off the phone, because once the phone is paid off, you're monthly phone bill gets cheaper.

You either pay for it up front or over time, but either way you're paying the same price.

10. Uabcar macrumors 6502

so the question I have is - if you go the 12 mth upgrade Next route- where you have to turn the phone back in... how does the process work?

Can you still preorder the phone from Apple and get it on launch day? Do you then, at some later point in time, take your old phone into an ATT store (or send it to ATT)?

I'm considering the Next plan - but I really like getting the new iPhone on launch day (all the excitement is fun etc.). I'm afraid the 'process' associated with turning in the old phone could hinder things.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing. I'm starting NEXT for the iPhone 6. So, for the 6S do I miss out on the pre-order because I haven't turned my phone in yet?

:apple:

12. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Why would you have to turn your current phone in if you're only just starting next?

13. Gathomblipoob, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

EDITED (Misread post)

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Read my post more carefully.

15. StuddedLeather thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was a question I asked as well and according to her I can still pre-order the new phone just in store. Remember those of us already on next aren't technically *done* yet, so we have to pay off the remaining balance before we can upgrade to a new one.

Since we are on the next plan I doubt Apple Stores will be able to help us much but I'm not sure on that.

Either way she said after I pre-order and the phone arrives, I'll just take the 5S back into AT&T, I guess to pick up the new phone or activate it if I decide to ship home. She also suggested that I do everything in store so that way I personally wouldn't mess up this upgrade process (I assume starting a new Next plan is what she meant).

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Straight from the AT&T rep.

17. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I'll also be doing this. I have 131$ to pay off and then the tax on the new device. They'll ship me the iPhone and I'll send my g2 back.

18. StuddedLeather thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup! Hopefully they have an AT&T stork clerk helping only those of us with Next already haha.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Based on what the rep said Next won't be an option through Apple unless you aren't planning on trading your previous phone in...

20. jkel777 macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is the thread to post this in, but it was the most recent one dealing with Next.

Just so I'm clear, the circled option in the attached picture does not sign me up for another two-year contract? I know it says it right underneath lol, just making sure. I'm asking because I don't want to lose the $25 discount on my line.

Also, will there be any upgrade fees if I choose this route? Since it doesn't seem like my upgrade eligibility date is changing, I may just buy outright. Is there an advantage to buying it outright in terms of the phone model? Is it unlocked or no?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort out how I'm going to buy the 6 haha :D

Attached Files:

21. cnotes2019 Suspended

I'm assuming if you buy from Apple outright it will be unlocked

22. jkel777 macrumors 6502

I hope so! But there's also a sim-free, unlocked version, and then you can also buy it outright on a carrier. I'm just wondering if there's a difference between the two.

23. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

You are correct. Any iPhone that is purchased through Apple at the full retail price will be unlocked out of the box.

24. jehartley macrumors member

Okay, I am a bit confused. Do I have to trade my phone in? If I have paid off my Next phone...made all payments, then the phone is mine, right? Why would I trade it in on the iPhone 6? I will just start making payments on the 6 and give the 5S to my son. Can I not do that?

25. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you have made ALL the payments, then it is yours. You can then get a phone at full price, or another next phone.

If you have only made half the payments are moving up to the "next"phone, then you trade it in.