5's bars are too low?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Transeau, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Am I missing something, or should -72 be a bit closer to 5 bars? Even at -64, it was only showing 4 bars.

Attached Files:

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't have any numbers, but my gut reaction is that my iPhone 5 tends to show a bar less everywhere I am compared to my 4S.

Perhaps Apple tightened the bars up even more in the spirit of 'under-promise, over-deliver.'

The earlier iPhones went too far the other way (showing nearly everything as 5 bars) and they eventually had to change it when people complained. I wonder if they've gone even further... Not the worst idea in the world.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

"Oh Yayz my iPhone5 is so awesum its internet is real fast even on 1 bar reception!!1!1!!" :D

4. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Interesting. Maybe the iPhone 5's Field Test mode is broken. My Wife's 4S shows transmit power and seems to update quickly. my 5 is now showing 4 bars at -72.

We have a Wilson 850/1900 booster in the house, and I can't seem to tell if the 5 is using it or not.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah -102 i had 3 bars on verizon not sure if that means anything

question is the number how far from the tower you are? strength? or what?

6. Derek87 macrumors 6502

i see 4 or 5 bars under that scenario on my iphone 5. i can't vouche for the exact numbers so these may be a little off, but i've seen (i think)

-120 - 130 1 bar
    -105 - 120 2 bars
    -90 - 105 3 bars
    -75 - 90 4 bars
    greater than -70, 5 bars

again, rough...i actually think it may hit 5 bars at around 75 or so...

7. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Something is wonky here.

I'm just 3010 feet from the tower. My house is stucco with a grounded RF blocking mesh. (hence the need for the repeater in the house) AT&T says it's a brand new tower, though not LTE. (Thanks, a-holes... put money into a new tower and leave out LTE)

Anyway, I re-aimed the outdoor antenna and the Field Test is now reporting -67. Yet still only 3 bars.

I'm going to try a restore and see if that helps.