5's bars are too low?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't have any numbers, but my gut reaction is that my iPhone 5 tends to show a bar less everywhere I am compared to my 4S.

Perhaps Apple tightened the bars up even more in the spirit of 'under-promise, over-deliver.'

The earlier iPhones went too far the other way (showing nearly everything as 5 bars) and they eventually had to change it when people complained. I wonder if they've gone even further... Not the worst idea in the world.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I don't have any numbers, but my gut reaction is that my iPhone 5 tends to show a bar less everywhere I am compared to my 4S.

Perhaps Apple tightened the bars up even more in the spirit of 'under-promise, over-deliver.'

The earlier iPhones went too far the other way (showing nearly everything as 5 bars) and they eventually had to change it when people complained. I wonder if they've gone even further... Not the worst idea in the world.
"Oh Yayz my iPhone5 is so awesum its internet is real fast even on 1 bar reception!!1!1!!" :D

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA

Interesting. Maybe the iPhone 5's Field Test mode is broken. My Wife's 4S shows transmit power and seems to update quickly. my 5 is now showing 4 bars at -72.

We have a Wilson 850/1900 booster in the house, and I can't seem to tell if the 5 is using it or not.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
i see 4 or 5 bars under that scenario on my iphone 5. i can't vouche for the exact numbers so these may be a little off, but i've seen (i think)

-120 - 130 1 bar
-105 - 120 2 bars
-90 - 105 3 bars
-75 - 90 4 bars
greater than -70, 5 bars

again, rough...i actually think it may hit 5 bars at around 75 or so...

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Something is wonky here.

I'm just 3010 feet from the tower. My house is stucco with a grounded RF blocking mesh. (hence the need for the repeater in the house) AT&T says it's a brand new tower, though not LTE. (Thanks, ******s... put money into a new tower and leave out LTE)

Anyway, I re-aimed the outdoor antenna and the Field Test is now reporting -67. Yet still only 3 bars.

I'm going to try a restore and see if that helps.