5S build quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vonWachtstain, Oct 2, 2013.

1. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

I just got my space gray last night and today in daylight I noticed that screen is not really flushed with the rest of the phone. I push on top right corner and it actually goes down a bit. My iPhone 5 didn't do that nor my 4 or 4S. Grrr I really don't want to go back to Apple store

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

No such issue here [ hopefully didn't jinx it now lol ] but if there's a problem, get it swapped.

Even if some other members have this problem, are you going to keep it ? It really makes no sense when there's an obvious defect in the unit and you want to avoid going to the Apple store.

Not trying to be an ass but how else would you remedy the issue ?

3. vonWachtstain thread starter macrumors regular

I don't even think they have it in stock so I can wait a bit. It just blows because it doesn't have that timepiece feel to it. :(

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Other people have claimed this on their 5S on here.

I am going to go check out my slate gray 5S. I'm keeping it aside until my case comes in the mail. When I got it yesterday I inspected it for scuffs or scratches and it was perfect, now I'm gonna check the screen lol.

Take it to Apple, they will most likely swap it.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

They should have some set aside for replacements. Did you inquire ?

I know how you feel... I had to exchange the 3GS [ bad battery - heated up like crazy ; bad screen inter-lacing ; and then bad GPS - couldn't get a fix ] 3 times before getting a good one!!

If the stores don't have any replacements [ which would be odd since there's a quota stocked just for this purpose ] call Apple and speak to a Senior Advisor. They will get you a replacement within 24 hrs :)

6. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Holy crap! I was going to post the same thing. I swapped mine out this past Monday and so far so good. But that was not the sole reason for me wanting to post. I was going to say that touchid is working so much better on the replacement unit. Don't know if it was hardware or me being more comfortable with the learning process. Just notice it unlocks every time now without issue.
    But get yours swapped ASAP while they still have new replacements. It got so bad it almost felt as if your pushing a button down with a resticking sound effect. Left side was solid. It took me 3 days to notice because I thought it was my case making the noise. The tech was happy to replace the unit.

----------

They have replacement units set aside which is very smart. But the Tech would have replaced the display if they had stock which I don't find too amusing on a phone that's only a few days old.

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Just checked my screen on my 5S. Thankfully I dont have this issue. Take it to Apple though, definitely. Or call them, see what they can do.

Most likely the adhesive to hold the display down just didn't want to stick to your phone. I'm sure they get this often or average people that don't pay much attention dont realize it.

8. vonWachtstain thread starter macrumors regular

I had to cancel my genius bar appointment. I have question that just occurred to me. If they exchange it for another one can I still return it? (theoretically I'm thinking about returning it before 30 days pass and buy iPhone 5 off CL.

9. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

My 5c is PERFECT. I'm seeing a lot more posts about 5s problems... Is it more problematic, or are we all geeks who buy the best one? (No regrets on my 5c, I like the build better)

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP you can give the phone to me if you don't want to go. :p

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

More than a few reports about screens delaminating. Swap it out for one with a wacky compass.

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Yes, you can return the replacement just as would with the first one.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Mine is strong, LIKE BULL!