5S don't restore, go clean

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Breitling65, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

When I got my phone yesterday I restored it from backup and here we are, blutooth was not working well today, while screen was locked I can't skip my songs playing them with bluetooth streaming in my car. Same happened if I pressed manually next button. Nothing helped in settings and I stopped by apple store to verify what to do. After resetting everything phone is back to normal, so don't waste your time and go with fresh install and settings. It reminds me Windows issues very much :)

2. Jason1978 macrumors regular

You mean clean install instead of restore right?

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

5S don't restore, go clean

Restore. Never start new unless you need to. It's inconvenience for no good reason and preempts problems that most likely will never arise. You can always start clean if you need to, and most people will not need to. If you restore, it most likely will save you a lot of time. If you start new, it's guaranteed work. I've been restoring since 3GS all the way to my 5s now, and never started new once. No bugs or lag at all.

4. Jason1978 macrumors regular

What kind of problems?

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Various bugs that people have sometimes when they restore, all kinds. I do believe that some people have problems that are fixed by starting new but I've never had them and I've been updating and restoring from the same backup since 3GS.

6. PaulNY macrumors member

This has happened to me randomly with all my iPhones since the iPhone 4...I re-paired it with the car and it solved the issues for me.

(also, a "reset all settings" seems to be a good compromise for me between a "new phone" and "restore from backup")

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

IMHO you should always do a fresh install with every new iOS. No need to bring over all the bad crap from other backups.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

exactly what I do every time.

9. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yes. This is true of every device, especially OSX and pro machines like Mac Pros, even iMacs. I always do fresh installs, runs so much better. Apple makes it so easy to do fresh installs.

10. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Nonsense. IMO you should always start with a restore. If, and I mean if, you have problems you can always wipe clean and start fresh. Starting with a fresh install is more so important in the PC world, not mobile iOS devices.

11. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Clean only, unless you wish to get into some troubles with phone.

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

This is BS as I have had multiple iPhones and always restored from a back up and never had a problem. Either way is good but I do not have the time to nor want to take the time to start all over again. The restore feature is one of Apple's best features.

Some things are hashed over and over in this forum, let's try something new like when should you charge your battery and should I run it down to zero first! LOL!:p

13. blah007 macrumors member

For those of you who do fresh installs for the new iOS', do you erase everything on the phone and then download the new iOS and start from scratch?

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I believe when you restore to factory settings it prompts you to download the latest software first. Then after doenloading the new iOS you can start fresh or restore from a backup.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I have never had a problem restoring from backup

16. Dibberly macrumors newbie

that easy to say...but what if you want to keep stuff from your old phone to the new one??? Thats the idea of backup / restore

i have just gone through the returns process to send my 5s 64gb back for a full refund. Went up town today and go the nano sim changed back to the micro sim for the 4s 32gb.

I dont care about the apps...i could not to a fresh install as there were text messages i wanted to keep....but its an all or nothing backup with apple.

Also there were other problems with the phone and for £700+ its a lot of money to have something not working correctly. I could have sent it for a replacement but dont know how long it would take as there in short supply atm. I have spent the last 5 days trying to get everything sorted out and in the end i thought that the money i spent....it should be simple and straight forward

So decided on the refund, i might get another 5s once the heat dies down. But in all honesty.....the 4s might just stay with me a lot longer than previously thought!!

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Same here, always restore from a backup and never had a problem….been doing so for years, now.

I have a friend that's had every iPhone, so he's been restoring from backups even longer than me and never has issues.

18. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Restored from every upgrade from Original iPhone to iPhone 5 (every model), when my 5s comes tomorrow I will restore as well.

Never had a problem.

19. dotme macrumors 6502a

I've always restored too. No issues. Although I do flip the original phone to Airplane Mode prior to that final backup. That way no incoming push/changes to Cloud, Calendar, Mail etc can happen while the backup is in progress and I get a clean snapshot.

20. emseven macrumors regular

My 5 and wife's 4S were becoming scalding hot on beta updates. I setup as new, clean installed the GM and we've been cool ever since through 7.0.2.

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've restored since my original iPhone to now my 5S. I like to keep my old text messages and pictures in my camera roll. No issues yet with BT streaming in my car or other BT devices. Everything works well.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I've been restoring from backup with all my iPhones with no problems.

23. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Apple also makes it easy to transfer all your stuff seamlessly. -> hence the mac transfer assistant. I've been using the same desktop since 2007 and no problems here.

Been using the same iPhone setup since the 3G. No problems from "restoring."

It is much more convenient to have all your old settings and apps in place as opposed to redownloading everything and setting everything back up.

The majority of people who restore have no problem.

24. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Yep, restoring is the way to go. Never start new unless you have problems.

25. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

If you're really worried about this type of thing, just restore from an iCloud backup. As far as I know, a backup in iTunes stores EVERY SINGLE THING on the phone. An iCloud backup only stores things like contacts and pictures.