5S = Dual LED flash, 12mp, fingerprint sensor, new processor, LTE-A. Will you buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waa1futs, Jul 26, 2013.

?

Would you upgrade if those were the only improvements?

1. Hell yeah!

46.3%
  2. Yeah, but I'm not happy about it. Just stuck in the S cycle :/

5.4%
  3. No, I'll just wait for the 6.

43.0%
  4. #%$& no! Worthless upgrade. I'm going Android instead.

5.4%
  1. waa1futs, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

waa1futs macrumors 6502

Lets say those are the only real improvements for the 5s:
    - Dual LED flash
    - 12mp camera
    - Fingerprint sensor
    - New processor
    - LTE-A (although almost no carriers support this yet)

Will you use your upgrade on it?

Or would you feel it's basically a worthless upgrade?

2. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Only if the Camera is improved and if the battery is much better
    and the 3rd thing would be 32GB for basic model

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I will buy the 5S no matter what. Just do not let the sensor get in the way. If you want to put something in the phone that would really help, how about an activity tracker with Withings or fitbit.

4. irDigital0l Guest

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I would want the processor to be significantly faster than the A6. Same design, better camera and battery, plus the "S" specific feature and I'm sold.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I'm not due for an upgrade until the 6 comes out but this will (probably) be the first one I don't mind skipping.

Only exception would be if it has NFC and NFC takes off. At this point the main thing I want from a phone is for it to replace my wallet.

Or a bigger screen but I highly doubt that will happen.

7. iNiko macrumors newbie

definetily buying it! As then I could record 4k video and watch it from my Seiki TV.

8. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

sure will.. selling my 5 to offset the early upgrade cost

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I'm more interested in battery life.
    If there is an improvement there, I'll buy it in a femtosecond.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I will probably end up witht he phone regardless but...

Toss the LED flash and give me Xenon. Makes more sense, especially with the highly competitive cameras on the market. The 4/4S in their prime were at the top of their game. Not so with the 5 anymore.

Fingerprint scanner I could go without. Unless it's REALLY amazing, I probably won't use it. So implementing it (or not) makes littler difference, with the information available to me today.

Faster processor I am happy with. Historically newer versions of iOS tend to lag on older chips. So, more speed is nice.

We have an upgrade every year, so someone on the plan ends up getting the new phone and someone ends up getting the (still great) hand me down).

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Dual LED flash, LTE-A, & fingerprint scanner aren't big deals for me. A faster processor is always nice.

That said, I won't be upgrading to it as I recently purchased a HTC One.

12. chokem macrumors 6502

I have the 5 now, and am due an upgrade in mid Sept. I'll probably sell the 5 and upgrade. I guess I'm OCD in the fact that I like the latest greatest.

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Yes I will, but.....

My list:

1. Slightly faster CPU is nice to have

2. Improved camera sensor also a welcomed upgrade, but a 12 MP is not necessary. 10 MP with a good sensor or even an 8 MP with improved sensor over the iPhone 5 is what I would like.

3. Will gladly take the fingerprint reader, but not necessary.

14. itjw macrumors 65816

I'd be stupid not to.

I have 4 lines, 2 on each cycle. We will sell the 5's once the launch of the 5S nears, pocket our 400-600 each (unlocked 16GB/64GB models), and use the $ to offset the cost of the 5S.

In most cases we'll come out ahead. Not as much as we USED to (it was ridiculous around the time of the 3G/3GS), but it still beats the crap out of every other phone on the market.

Yes we have a contract, and yes, it costs $$$ for service (service that we USE, which people often forget when pointing out that the cost of the contract doesn't get factored in). We have zero intention of leaving ATT, so contracts aren't that scary to us.

IF and only if, ATT took away my unlimited plan (which they have every right to do, just haven't yet), or if Apple went exclusive with someone else for some high end iPhone... those would be about the only 2 instances I could think of that would pry us away. ATT has been pretty great otherwise.

New iPhone EVERY cycle. It's pretty nice :cool:

15. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone wich basically looks the same yet "is brand new inside".
    I follow a pattern when upgrading iPhones : I upgrade when the phone has a different design.
    (Bought the Original iPhone in late 2007, the iPhone 3G in early 2009, iPhone 4 on launch day and iPhone 5 on the launch day, as well.)

16. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Agreed 1000%

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The iPhone always needed more processing power until the 5. The 4s comes close. Until then I had always found the phones to be slow. I have always considered the big CPU bumps to be major updates. I've noticed that these are the updates others seem to regard as minor (s cycle).

With the 5 as it is now it's more or less my perfect phone. I don't need more MP. The rest is just frills to me.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

people have said the exact same thing about every iPhone version. they all have the 5 now, and they'll say it about the 6, 7, 8...

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

But I didn't say that previously. I stated I said the opposite. I've felt like a contrarian on this forum for years. The 5 is the FIRST time I find the hardware sufficient.

When I bought the 4 new I was fairly open about the fact that I thought it was slow out of the gate.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

21. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I'm not due for an upgrade anytime soon, but to be honest, I'm happy with my iPhone 5. I don't need to buy every single iPhone that comes out. If anything, I'll buy the iPhone 6 - that should most likely come out when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I don't think the 5S has any features that I would miss. Let everyone else have their fun with it. And the whole fingerprint scanner thing? Yeah, I don't like it.

22. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

out of all of those, the only thing i would consider useful (to me) is the new processor...but the current one in iPhone 5 is good enough for now. no reason for me to upgrade at this stage.

23. bushman4 macrumors 68000

We might even see NFC in the new model which would make it more interesting.

24. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

I voted no but I probably will only because I will make money when I sell my 5 and use my upgrade for the 5s. I'd be all over it if it had a bigger screen. I praying for a miracle on that one I know

25. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

why are people asking for faster device when the 5 is blazing fast

apple fanboy will look for any reason to hop on the wagon