Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you upgrade if those were the only improvements?

• Total voters

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Lets say those are the only real improvements for the 5s:
- Dual LED flash
- 12mp camera
- Fingerprint sensor
- New processor
- LTE-A (although almost no carriers support this yet)

Will you use your upgrade on it?

Or would you feel it's basically a worthless upgrade?

Last edited:

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
Only if the Camera is improved and if the battery is much better
and the 3rd thing would be 32GB for basic model

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I will buy the 5S no matter what. Just do not let the sensor get in the way. If you want to put something in the phone that would really help, how about an activity tracker with Withings or fitbit.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I would want the processor to be significantly faster than the A6. Same design, better camera and battery, plus the "S" specific feature and I'm sold.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm not due for an upgrade until the 6 comes out but this will (probably) be the first one I don't mind skipping.

Only exception would be if it has NFC and NFC takes off. At this point the main thing I want from a phone is for it to replace my wallet.

Or a bigger screen but I highly doubt that will happen.

iNiko

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
definetily buying it! As then I could record 4k video and watch it from my Seiki TV.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'm more interested in battery life.
If there is an improvement there, I'll buy it in a femtosecond.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I will probably end up witht he phone regardless but...

Toss the LED flash and give me Xenon. Makes more sense, especially with the highly competitive cameras on the market. The 4/4S in their prime were at the top of their game. Not so with the 5 anymore.

Fingerprint scanner I could go without. Unless it's REALLY amazing, I probably won't use it. So implementing it (or not) makes littler difference, with the information available to me today.

Faster processor I am happy with. Historically newer versions of iOS tend to lag on older chips. So, more speed is nice.

We have an upgrade every year, so someone on the plan ends up getting the new phone and someone ends up getting the (still great) hand me down).

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Dual LED flash, LTE-A, & fingerprint scanner aren't big deals for me. A faster processor is always nice.

That said, I won't be upgrading to it as I recently purchased a HTC One.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I have the 5 now, and am due an upgrade in mid Sept. I'll probably sell the 5 and upgrade. I guess I'm OCD in the fact that I like the latest greatest.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Yes I will, but.....

My list:

1. Slightly faster CPU is nice to have

2. Improved camera sensor also a welcomed upgrade, but a 12 MP is not necessary. 10 MP with a good sensor or even an 8 MP with improved sensor over the iPhone 5 is what I would like.

3. Will gladly take the fingerprint reader, but not necessary.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'd be stupid not to.

I have 4 lines, 2 on each cycle. We will sell the 5's once the launch of the 5S nears, pocket our 400-600 each (unlocked 16GB/64GB models), and use the $ to offset the cost of the 5S.

In most cases we'll come out ahead. Not as much as we USED to (it was ridiculous around the time of the 3G/3GS), but it still beats the crap out of every other phone on the market.

Yes we have a contract, and yes, it costs $$$ for service (service that we USE, which people often forget when pointing out that the cost of the contract doesn't get factored in). We have zero intention of leaving ATT, so contracts aren't that scary to us.

IF and only if, ATT took away my unlimited plan (which they have every right to do, just haven't yet), or if Apple went exclusive with someone else for some high end iPhone... those would be about the only 2 instances I could think of that would pry us away. ATT has been pretty great otherwise.

New iPhone EVERY cycle. It's pretty nice :cool:

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone wich basically looks the same yet "is brand new inside".
I follow a pattern when upgrading iPhones : I upgrade when the phone has a different design.
(Bought the Original iPhone in late 2007, the iPhone 3G in early 2009, iPhone 4 on launch day and iPhone 5 on the launch day, as well.)

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone wich basically looks the same yet "is brand new inside".
I follow a pattern when upgrading iPhones : I upgrade when the phone has a different design.
(Bought the Original iPhone in late 2007, the iPhone 3G in early 2009, iPhone 4 on launch day and iPhone 5 on the launch day, as well.)

Agreed 1000%

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The iPhone always needed more processing power until the 5. The 4s comes close. Until then I had always found the phones to be slow. I have always considered the big CPU bumps to be major updates. I've noticed that these are the updates others seem to regard as minor (s cycle).

With the 5 as it is now it's more or less my perfect phone. I don't need more MP. The rest is just frills to me.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
now it's more or less my perfect phone. I don't need more MP. The rest is just frills to me.

people have said the exact same thing about every iPhone version. they all have the 5 now, and they'll say it about the 6, 7, 8...

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
people have said the exact same thing about every iPhone version. they all have the 5 now, and they'll say it about the 6, 7, 8...

But I didn't say that previously. I stated I said the opposite. I've felt like a contrarian on this forum for years. The 5 is the FIRST time I find the hardware sufficient.

When I bought the 4 new I was fairly open about the fact that I thought it was slow out of the gate.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I'm not due for an upgrade anytime soon, but to be honest, I'm happy with my iPhone 5. I don't need to buy every single iPhone that comes out. If anything, I'll buy the iPhone 6 - that should most likely come out when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I don't think the 5S has any features that I would miss. Let everyone else have their fun with it. And the whole fingerprint scanner thing? Yeah, I don't like it.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
Lets say those are the only real improvements for the 5s:
- Dual LED flash
- 12mp camera
- Fingerprint sensor
- New processor
- LTE-A (although almost no carriers support this yet)

Will you use your upgrade on it?

Or would you feel it's basically a worthless upgrade?

out of all of those, the only thing i would consider useful (to me) is the new processor...but the current one in iPhone 5 is good enough for now. no reason for me to upgrade at this stage.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I voted no but I probably will only because I will make money when I sell my 5 and use my upgrade for the 5s. I'd be all over it if it had a bigger screen. I praying for a miracle on that one I know

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
why are people asking for faster device when the 5 is blazing fast

apple fanboy will look for any reason to hop on the wagon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.