5S Fingerprint scanner problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abs9986, Sep 20, 2013.

1. abs9986 macrumors member

Just got the Iphone5s and I'm trying to set up the finger print security login.

I don't know if it's me or the phone, but I can't seem to get it to work. I hold my thumb on the home button and half the time nothing happens, the other half I see it starts to scan my finger and create a partial print. When I feel it vibrate I lift and reapply as instructed, but it never goes anywhere and says it failed to read my prints.

My hands are clean and dry. Am I doing something wrong?

2. abs9986 thread starter macrumors member

exchanged my phone and now it is working flawlessly. I guess certain phones will be defective.

3. Poly macrumors 6502

Wow....where are you able to still get a replacement?

And DAMN this basically confirms fingergate :(

4. BeeGood, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

You have to touch and hold until you feel it vibrate. Once it vibrates, it has part of your print and you have to lift slightly and put it back down. You'll do this maybe 10-20 times.

I've also noticed it helps if you move your finger around a little whole doing it.

Mine has worked great. I have both thumbs and index fingers

ETA: just read your follow up. I guess you'll have a defective one in the bunch now and then. Glad they were able to exchange it.

I'm LOVING this thing!

5. MacBreezy macrumors regular

My finger print scanner only works about half the time. Anyone else having issues? I've already tried to erase and re-add my finger print but still only having success with it part of the time.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

...what? Two people on an internet forum confirms a widespread issue?

Mine is working seamlessly...

8. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Apple released iOS 7.0.1 which addresses issues with the fingerprint scanner, so that should fix anyone's issues :)

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Mine has been absolutely flawless every time. It scans it so quick

10. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Lets hope a small amount

11. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

12. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

confirming that my scanner works great for the two fingers I set up for it

13. joshs2000ss macrumors member

Mine has been perfect every time except one. The scan didn't fail but it failed to recognize that I was putting my thumb on the button. I tried both thumbs (both are programmed in) with the same result.

I slid the screen over and unlocked with my passcode and did what I needed to do. When I locked again, I quickly tried again to make sure there wasn't a problem. Worked as expected and quite quickly unlocked my phone.

Battery percentage was at 14%. Not sure if that affected anything, just noting for posterity.

14. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Oh, and I make sure when I press that it's a good 'fleshy' press -- ie. my thumb makes decent contact with the metal ring around the home button (not a hard press, but a complete press).

15. LastZion macrumors 6502a

When you go back into the settings menu and place your thumb on the scanner the appropriate "finger" turns a shade grey (when you are at certain angles. Looks like it is continuing to learn. Is this always the case or just when you are in this menu?

Cool either way.

How many fingers can we set up?

16. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

We had some issues getting our print scanned in right after activation. Rebooted and now it's been working perfect. In fact I think fingerprint scan unlock is faster than click and swipe with no code!

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

18. darkgoob macrumors 6502

Mine works perfectly. My GF said she's gonna wait til I'm asleep then unlock my phone with my hand. So I just wear alarm gloves.