5S help me choose 16 vs 32gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elemenoP, Sep 30, 2013.

1. elemenoP macrumors newbie

I could use some advice. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm ordering a 5S. I bought the iPhone 4 in 32gb size but a few years later I have only used up 9.3gb. Should I downgrade in size on my next phone?

Right now I have 1.6gb in photos, I almost never use the camera on my phone because I HATE IT. But maybe I will like the new camera a lot better and I will take more pictures and videos? I don't know.

I currently have 1.2gb in music, I have an ipod classic for storing all my music and I only keep a selection on the phone. This could grow, but not by that much.

I don't like watching movies on the phone and I don't think this will change with the new phone.

I have a lot of apps and I get a few more apps, usually for my daughter, every few months. Really I have a lot of apps that I never use, too.

I googled and found that on the iPhone 4S, the usable memory on a 16gb phone is 13gb. Is it the same on the 5S? This would give me about 4gb of "grow room" over what I have on my phone now. Does that sound like a lot or a little?

WWYD?

Thanks,
    eP

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If you have the cash I'd go 32GB. Apps and such are only going to get bigger as time goes on.

3. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Definitely 32gb. You won't regret the extra space and peace of mind.

4. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I stream my music & videos, and am not into gaming on my iPhone so 16gb is more than enough for me. My photos get backed up to Google Drive automatically so I don't have to keep them indefinitely.

After installing all my standard apps I have about 7.5 gb left. I'll probably use about 3 or 4 gb more eventually and that'll be it, so I don't see any capacity issues.

Having said that, if you can easily afford the difference you'll probably get most of it back at resale, but it sounds like you may be like me and the 16gb will be fine.

5. MN7119 macrumors regular

I always had the 32gb until I had no option other than the 64gb on the 5S (only model available in the store). After struggling to spend an extra $100 I can say I was happy I did and will probably never go back to 32gb. The 32gb was doing OK for me but after I started using my iphone to take many pictures of my kids on the go and also making videos I found myself always in need to sync my phone to my computer to unload the pics and videos to make more space available. Now with 64gb that is not a oroblem anymore. Go big or go home!!! :D

6. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

Yeah 32gb is the sweet spot for idevices.. Get the 32gb if you have extra cash to splurge ;)

7. Xeyad macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5s has 8 megapixel photos, 1080p video recording, 120fps slow motion video (which takes space more than normal 1080p videos), downloads 1080p movies and TV shows from iTunes, and 64-bit apps and games are coming fast. You definitely need 32GB. :)

I'm actually quite pissed at Apple left the base 5s with 16GB, and asking for $100 just for additional memory is getting quite ridiculous! :mad: It used to be fine in the past, but in the age where 32GB flash drives cost $15, Apple is completely out of line with this one.

8. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

9. elemenoP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this is all very helpful! I thought I would be mocked for not being able to decide on my own. :)

eP

10. deraj090 macrumors regular

I can give you some personal advice, as I just exchanged my 16GB 5s for a 32GB -- definitely go with the 32GB. The iOS alone is over 3GB, so >20% of your storage space is chewed up before you install anything else.

Reducing the headache of having to constantly manage your inventory is worth the $100.

11. 617aircav Suspended

This is a simple choice. Buy the best you can afford.

12. zer06ame macrumors member

I'm struggling with this right now. I have the 32GB 5S and think it's more than adequate...but keep wondering if I should upgrade to the 64GB. There's a 90% chance I will never go over 32GB since I stream all music and movies, but alas I can't make up my mind.

I can by all means afford the 64GB model and would not be burdened by the price increase...but it seems pointless if I won't ever use it. If I skip the upgrade, I'll save enough money for 15 months of Spotify Premium.

Someone just put me out of my misery already. LOL.

13. bobcpa macrumors newbie

If it is important, regarding resale....

Not sure about sites such as Craigslist and EBay; however, if this is important to you, and you are more than likely to resell your phone either to Apple or Gazelle, know that you will NOT get the additional price back by resale. I have a 4S and am going to upgrade to the 5S. I have the 16gb and Gazelle as quoted a $190 price. The same phone with 32gb is $195....so, if this is an issue, you should consider this.

I have thought about upgrading to 32gb;however, knowing that the resale is only $5 more than the 16gb causes me to pause and reconsider.

14. zer06ame macrumors member

This is a good point. VZW gave me $200 store credit for my 16gb 4S, while the 32GB only received $210 and 64GB $220. I wouldn't base the entire decision upon it though. Just keep it in mind.

15. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

16. elemenoP thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just ordered the 32gb... in gold... my delivery date only says "October." :(

My current phone is a 4, not a 4S, and it has a tiny crack near the home button. So it has pretty much no resale value at all. I have been using it with that tiny crack for about a year so I will be really happy to have a new phone!

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I always go for 16gb, not really got many apps and my music I never let go over 8gb so always plenty left for me :) it always depends on your personal needs so no point asking others to be honest!

18. cityhopper macrumors newbie

cityhopper

Right before the upgrade, I had less than 3GB space on the 16GB 4s. I'm glad that I got the 32GB model for the 5s; however, it really sucks there is a $100 premium and the return on that premium is worthless in the resale market.

19. antiprotest, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Go all in.

Get the 64GB and download some movies. Lots of movies.

Attached Files:

20. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

32gb

Apps seem to be getting larger and the quality of pictures take up space.. just my thought.

21. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

For some reason, I can't justify the extra $200 for 48GB. Grotesque profit for Apple :/

22. blah007 macrumors member

I'm in the same situation. I have the 5s 16gb going to exchange for 32gb when it becomes available at the store.
    Always had 16gb phones and never used all the memory but now i want a larger storage.

23. Gomez315 macrumors member

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

25. DcoalStrat macrumors member

32 gb esp. with Burst mode and slow-mo video you will need the extra space