5S Instant Re-sale Values

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Sep 17, 2013.

1. rockitdog, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

rockitdog macrumors 68020

:confused: I'm thinking about trying to pick up a 5S just so I can turn around and sell it for small profit thanks to people who can't wait and need to have it now! Does anyone think the Space Gray or White Silver will fetch a higher price on Craigslist or eBay?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Very risky. However, Space Grey appears to be the most in demand colour, according to a poll on this site.

3. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Also remember, eBay selling fee is 10%, and assuming you use Paypal, that is another 2.9%, which may leave you with little to no profit.

4. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Apart from this practice being highly unethical and I frown upon it, it all depends on how quickly the 5S sells out.

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Very risky? No risk at all as phones can be returned for a refund.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

This will only work if you are among the first in your area to get one and they sell out or once you have the phone go to the back of the queue and start a bidding auction.

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Obviously, I understand that they can be returned for a full refund, but there are all sorts of pitfalls selling high value items on eBay (for example), especially if you are seeking to make a fast buck. Karma can be a bitch!

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

TBH, I would rather see the phone be resold than it be subjected to a drop test or "will it blend?"

9. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

For resale get the white. The black ones always have the lowest resale value.

Nothing wrong at all with what the OP is doing. He never said he was breaking a contract or anything to get the phone and ignoring the ETF. It makes perfect sense for people who don't want the latest device but qualify for an upgrade.

Also if 5S supply is constrained like the 5 was last year then you might be able to sell it for above retail. People were paying over $800 for the 16gb model last year.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Doesn't help when the ebay buyer claims the box they received was empty or you later get a chargeback... :D

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Exactly the type of scenario I was thinking of.

13. Iphone5preorder, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013

Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Get the gray one. That one just sold out in China and the there haven't yet.

14. rgctx macrumors regular

Risky, especially with eBay and PayPal (not them but the buyer).

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't see anything unethical about reselling your individual device. You can only sell for a higher price if someone is willing to pay it.

That said, if I get a 5S on launch day I'm keeping it for myself. If I don't, I'll wait till they are easily available.

16. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Wanting to sell something based on the fact that people who miss out on getting one on day 1 will pay a higher price just to have it? Praying on their vulnerabilities? To me that's unethical.

Just selling the phone though, that's fine.

17. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

It's called supply and demand! If I can supply someone's must-have demand, I don't think it's unethical at all. :)

----------

Good point, I think I'll stick to craigslist. Worst case scenario, I end up with a shiny new 5S :D, best case I make a few bucks.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't see this as being any different than asking astronomical amounts for collector's items such as star wars toys, etc. I wasn't there to buy them when the released, I get to buy them for 1000 times the price. (if you didn't guess, I am a star wars toy nut)

Getting an iPhone on launch day you will probably have to stand in a long line. Think of this another way, you are paying someone to stand in line for you.

I respect your opinion, just don't see how it's unethical. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the phone for more than it retails. The buyer has the freedom of choice here... They can choose to stand in a long line, or they can choose to buy it from someone who did that for them. Hell, they can even choose to wait until Apple gets more in stock!

19. thecurryman macrumors 6502

I did it last year. It all depends on supply. Using an upgrade on my plan got a black $199 iphone 5 16gb about 2-3 weeks after it released and sold for $810 the next day. If supplies are more constrained as rumors say, youll easily be selling it in the $1000s. IDC if people look down on this. Its easy money especially if your burning your OWN upgrade for it.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you're burning your own upgrade for it, and are selling it for that price, you'd have enough to buy your own one back, factory unlocked. So your upgrade doesn't matter.

Back to the OP, I would still think that it is unethical, regardless of your sole reasoning being to make money. What you are banking on is someone's want for the phone. When they decide that your price is too high, they walk away still with their money, with nothing spent except the time waiting for the phone they want to come in. You end up standing there looking like a chump because your plot to make money failed.

I'll put it another way: is your wanting to make money off of this worth some kid wanting it so bad that they'd give up a kidney to make the money to pay you? That's what happened the last time someone did this 'just to make money'.

BL.

21. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I agree there is no difference. It's just as unethical. If you put a reasonable price on for example ebay and the price skyrockets, that's fine but if you expect a very high price initially then that's borderline unethical. But how high is too high is something everyone will have a different opinion on.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's the thing. What is a "reasonable price"? It's what people are willing to pay for it. You can ask 10 grand for the thing, and it obviously won't sell. If you ask right around where the phone sells on eBay, I see absolutely no difference between letting the thing go up to a bid versus outright selling it for what phones end up going for via the bidding process. In fact, many buy it now prices are often cheaper than ending bids on devices like this.

I guess your definition of ethics is just different than mine. No worries. But I do recommend you never get into real estate. You should never sell your house for more than you paid for it. That's just not right! ;) (only having some fun here, no offense meant) :)

23. thecurryman macrumors 6502

What? No I wouldn't be buying my own back. Id sell the phone, use the upgrade, and keep using my precious phone while pocketing the profit.

24. X-Ravin macrumors regular

That's funny, it sounds a lot like capitalism to me. In fact does not Apple set their prices at what they believe will maximize their profits?

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Use what upgrade? Your upgrade was used on the phone you sold! But if you're selling it and possibly get in $1000, you have enough to buy another phone outright, and factory unlocked. So again, your upgrade is burned, so it wouldn't make a difference.

BL.