5s iPhone stolen before delivery to my home...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MiWall81, Sep 29, 2013.

1. MiWall81, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

MiWall81 macrumors member

I set my alarm for 11:55 pm so I could wake up to purchase my iPhone 5s at 12:03 on Sept 20... I was so excited to finally get my new upgrade, tracking it from some place in China to Phoenix AZ! However, to my dismay, after tracking the iPhone to my home, and signing for the package, I opened it and found no iPhone 5s.

On further inspection, the guy/girl who stole it had clearly opened the brown box, taken the plastic wrapping off of the Iphone 5s box, stolen the iphone and the power cable. The person then was then kind enough to place the contents he/she didn't want back into the iPhones box. They were even kind enough to tape the brown box a second time and have it delivered to my home.

What a disgrace! I'll live, as I filed a complaint with UPS and Apple, but seriously, this was upsetting...

Apple gave me my leather iPhone 5s case for free ($40 dollar value) and said they'd mail me a new iPhone. However, that was last week and I've received no notification that they have mailed anything to me as of yet.

We live in a world where people no longer want to work for anything. Everybody wants everything handed or given to them. Or if they really want something, they just steal it. I'm ticked... But I'll live.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

"Stolen" is a pretty severe accusation, and you've made it specifically against the UPS delivery person. I'd temper that a little if I were you. You have no evidence beyond the missing phone, and meanwhile we have no one's word but yours that YOU didn't steal it.

Report it to the police too. Unless there's reason not to... ahem...

3. rgarjr, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sucks broh. That's what happens when everyone wants a shiny idevice.

4. dazedxar macrumors member

I am sorry to hear about this :(, but you can't say it was the driver that stole it. The package went through many hands and you cannot blame the driver just because he/she is the last person that touched the package. You could cost someone their job throwing accusations around like that.

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I hope they catch whoever stole it.

So shady.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Could have been stolen during any part of the delivery chain.

At least you are getting it replaced.

7. bmwnj macrumors newbie

UPS drivers are well paid and usually really nice guys. I doubt they would risk their job for an iphone. They deliver far more valuable merchandise on a daily basis. Anyone could have done it.

8. MiWall81, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

MiWall81 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I would steal my own iPhone and then post on here....! And I guess using the word stolen is pretty severe huh? I apologize, I guess the iPhone could have accidentally fallen out of the brown box and then taped itself up again...

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Damn, that really sucks. I feel for you. Starting to get a little worried myself for my phone.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Rather than wasting emotional energy I suggest file report at once. The package is insured.

12. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

What else happened to it? Stolen is the best word I think for this situation. He already corrected himself and said he is not blaming them directly. But honestly I still think it's UPS's responsibility. They should ensure that the package contents arrive safely.

13. dsciel macrumors regular

with the new Activation Lock Feature. they could not use it unless you use your info to activate it first. I believe Apple will give you a replacement and file claims with UPS and block that "stolen" phone

14. taran420 macrumors 6502a

How do you know the driver stole your phone? yea you dont, just like we dont know if you stole it.

See how it works?

Hopefully it all works out for you, bad situation.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I worked for UPS from '92 to '99 so there's one place this possibly could happen. Once the package is in the system it's non-stop frenetic activity. Sups are always yelling at the unloaders to work faster and the loaders have to keep up or they get buried. Drivers have to meet their time schedules and do it safely or there is hell to pay.

However, take the package out of the system and there may be time to do what you are accusing UPS of.

Any time a package is damaged during a sort bad enough it will get set aside and sent to PSC (Package Sort Center). PSC is authorized to open a package to determine it's contents and assess it's damage. If possible they fix the problem, rewrap the package and put it back in the system. If someone in PSC was unscrupulous and your iPhone ended up there they could have done this.

The problem is that there was plenty of security where I worked. All bags were checked coming and going. After 9/11 I can only imagine how much stricter it would have gotten. But someone may have been able to pass it off as their own phone (which they couldn't do trying to sneak all the other stuff out including the package).

It's a lot less likely that the driver would do this, although if the driver is delivering a batch of iPhones it may be hard to figure out.

Anyway, I live in PHX and I've had to pick up packages at the local sort. It's a dingy building with minimal parking in an industrial area and one of the nights I was there the sort was slow. But I was only inside the customer part (even though I could see belts and through an open door the sort activity. So, can't really vouch for the security. But, along those lines (someone in PSC) it's possible - maybe. No idea about cameras.

Note that when I was at UPS a supervisor got fired on the spot for trying to slip her own package on to the sort belt, so I can only imagine what would happen if they caught this person.

16. MiWall81 thread starter macrumors member

I hope so...

17. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

1) You're welcome. It always warms my heart when I advise someone to be careful because they're potentially committing libel, and they, y'know, flip me the bird.

2) There are folks out there who would take a phone out of the box, Craigslist it, and then howl that it'd been ripped off. If I were UPS I'd be curious if you're one of those. Just saying.

3) "Stolen" is a specific accusation of a crime which you [update: orginally] leveled against a specific employee of a specific company. My main point is that you would be on safer ground if you edited your post to say something vaguer like, "My iPhone box was empty when delivered! Someone stole it out of its box!" ...See? No possibility of some Big Bad Corporation making an example of you. Unless they find a Craigslist or Ebay listing they find curious...

18. celly macrumors 6502

With all these cases coming to light, I'm going to have a box cutter ready to open the box and am going to video the opening since UPS doesn't normally hand over the box until you sign. I'll probably have UPS guy wait until box is open.

As others have said, it's not necessarily the driver who is responsible, but at least if they witness the empty box, you'll have someone to substantiate the theft when you make the claim.

This shouldn't happen. UPS makes a lot of $ on these Apple releases.

19. MiWall81 thread starter macrumors member

That's smart!

20. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Yes. I'm glad to see that.

21. MiWall81, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

MiWall81 thread starter macrumors member

lol, I apologize... I was pissed...! You are right, I am wrong... There

22. mso4 macrumors regular

I purchased my 5s online at 1202 and another at 1204 on opening friday. I was able to pick up the second one on Thursday. The first one never arrived even though tracking says it's at the ups station. Ups told me that tracking is just 'derived' information. Meaning it only indicate the schedule time. That was news to me.

Anyways apple is re sending me another phone. No idea when that will be kind of disappointing. I'll be sure to check the box carefully next tin di sign for it.

23. MiWall81 thread starter macrumors member

It is disappointing, and frustrating... I'm still waiting to see what comes of my missing/stolen iPhone 5s. Hopefully it's sent to me soon. I had to send my empty box to Apple, and I told them there were fingerprints that seemed to be on the sticky side of the second layer of tape. Maybe whoever stole my phone was dumb enough to not wear gloves when taping the box back up...?

Now it's just another waiting game.

24. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Um, that won't actually work, since Activation Lock has not been set up on the device yet.

25. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

So are they shipping you a new one? Or it's just whenever they find the stolen one? Wow. If it's the latter I would be very disappointed my friend. It's either just a really bad week for you or your getting karma *********