5s rattle power button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samosa, Oct 11, 2013.

1. samosa, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

samosa macrumors member

I was wondering if someone else could test their 5s and see if they have the same symptoms.

I have this annoying rattle when the phone is vibrating (also when shaking the phone but I'm not bothered about that) I've let my phone vibrate for a while and depending if it's being held upright (no rattling ) or on it's back (rattles)

It's definitely not the camera lens as when rattle is present if I put my finger on the power button this rattle goes away.

Googling this issue kicks off a debate about camera and gaps for power buttons etc, but my problem specifically relates to the rattle only present when phone rings and vibrates

Does anyone else 5s do the above? (excluding when shaking the phone)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is completely normal. All iPhones starting with the iPhone 4 have some degree of rattling caused by buttons. Over time an unstoppable ingress of dust and oils will make is stop rattling.

3. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I have the same symptom .

4. pasqualino macrumors member

mine rattles quite a bit, but i'm not really bothered by it.

5. samosa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response

I'll give the guy on apple chat a buzz see what they think!

6. vseera macrumors member

I had the same thing with my launch day iPhone. I exchanged it for another one and that one has the rattle as well.

The genius told me it might eventually go away anyway.

I thought there was something wrong with mine, but after the exchange and knowing it's normal, it doesn't bother me anymore.

7. samosa thread starter macrumors member

i think major problem for me is im comparing it too much to the 4s.

8. TheKDub macrumors member

yup, i just went from a 5s from a 4s and the 4s didnt have that rattle but my 5s does... i was thinking about getting it replaced until reading these forums. seems like its so common, a replacement will prob have the rattle anyways

9. daniphils macrumors newbie

It's completely normal. I went to the store and tried all the 5S. They all had this rattle...

10. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

How about searching next time? This gets posted every single day.

11. Cutterschoice macrumors member

I know a few have answered already, mine also does this, i came from a 4s and thought something wasn't right.

Replacement also did the same, i also looked at my mum's iPad mini, it also moves more so than the 4s.

I'm pretty sure that's just the way it is, also noticed the home button makes a bit more noise than the 4s, but not really enough to return it again.

12. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Same at the store I went to. I got the apple leather case and now I don't notice the power button issue at all.

13. samosa thread starter macrumors member

Do you have OCD? I was specific in my post about the problem, search yielded users going on about a rattle when shaking the device then debating what it was!

14. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

15. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Your same question has been posted a thousand times. I don't have OCD but if you really searched you would have got results. It's the damn power button on top and they all do it

16. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

Yes it rattles. These phones have become 1 year disposable phones to me though so as long as the screen doesn't have defects I will just keep it.

17. samosa thread starter macrumors member

Never mind

18. vistadude macrumors 65816

My 5s button rattles, it makes the phone feel real cheap. Putting a really tight TPU case on did not stop it from rattling. My old iphone 4, which is 3 years old does not have this problem, with or without a case.

I won't be exchanging mine since everyone else seems to have the same issue too.

19. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Yeah, thought this was strange also but all the 5Ss I've touched have had the same "problem"

20. samosa thread starter macrumors member