Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
You know how older cell phones, when placed near a speaker and had cell data being used (either a call or browsing) would cause the speaker to make strange sounds?

I haven't had that happen since I switched to the 4. But with the 5s, it's back. Anyone else notice this? Instead of a loud "dot dot dot dot dot" like it used to do, it is more of a low grumble noise. I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else noticed this...

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Cellphones have done this forever. Well, for a at least the 15 years I have owned one.

Varying the data modulation scheme of the transmission also varys the way the demodulated audio coming from your speaker sounds.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Cellphones have done this forever. Well, for a at least the 15 years I have owned one.

Varying the data modulation scheme of the transmission also varys the way the demodulated audio coming from your speaker sounds.

My iphone 4 and 4s never did this.

The 5s is doing it frequently to the stereo in my office. If nothing else it is definitely more pronounced/noticeable/annoying!!!

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
My iphone 4 and 4s never did this.

The 5s is doing it frequently to the stereo in my office. If nothing else it is definitely more pronounced/noticeable/annoying!!!

It's going to depend on the shielding of the speakers' built in amps. Mine are particularly cheezy and do it all the time.

clockdoors

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
think so,Yes, and I've had it on the 4 and 5 as well as all my previous cell phones.
13.gif

colmuna5

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
little noise, very similar to GSM interference iphone 5s

You know how older cell phones, when placed near a speaker and had cell data being used (either a call or browsing) would cause the speaker to make strange sounds?

I haven't had that happen since I switched to the 4. But with the 5s, it's back. Anyone else notice this? Instead of a loud "dot dot dot dot dot" like it used to do, it is more of a low grumble noise. I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else noticed this...

my iphone 5s when i call I hear a little noise, very similar to GSM interference in a pc speaker

is your problem? There has never happened?

iphone 5s 7.0.3

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That doesn't explain why it's just starting to happen. I've had the stereo for years.

Because the iPhone 4/4S did not have LTE, which uses a different transmission method from HSPA/UMTS. LTE is once again a different signaling protocol, so it will "sound" different to equipment susceptible to interference.

Generally, the interference caused by UMTS and HSPA is a lot more subtle than its predecessor (2G/GSM/EDGE), almost unnoticeable in most cases. LTE isn't so subtle though, so the interference is back, though it sounds a bit different from the 2G days.

The upshot is, where it seemed like the 4 and 4S didn't interfere, the iPhone 5 and 5s will make a bit more noise when LTE kicks in.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Because the iPhone 4/4S did not have LTE, which uses a different transmission method from HSPA/UMTS. LTE is once again a different signaling protocol, so it will "sound" different to equipment susceptible to interference.

Generally, the interference caused by UMTS and HSPA is a lot more subtle than its predecessor (2G/GSM/EDGE), almost unnoticeable in most cases. LTE isn't so subtle though, so the interference is back, though it sounds a bit different from the 2G days.

The upshot is, where it seemed like the 4 and 4S didn't interfere, the iPhone 5 and 5s will make a bit more noise when LTE kicks in.

didn't think about that. makes complete sense. Thanks for the info.

socbrian

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
nc
I had the same situation, going from 4 to 5s and was shocked this started happening again. I would do it on my 3g when on the Edge (ATT) network, but I guess LTE does this also, pretty annoying. I heard if u get shielded speakers it will not do it but I can not confirm or deny that

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
my iphone 5s when i call I hear a little noise, very similar to GSM interference in a pc speaker

is your problem? There has never happened?

iphone 5s 7.0.3

I've had every single iphone since the first and have never had a n issue with call quality on at&t, and now the sound I'm hearing from my iphone 5s is just plain fuzz when I'm on a call. It's not insanely loud, but it's enough to annoy me while on a phone call and the person on the other end can hear it as well. My 5 was super crystal clear with zero static or fuzz on at&t. Think I'm gonna do a swap and get a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.