5S+ - "tap" on home button instead of press

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I just got my 5S and I think it's time to do away with the physical press of the home button. It seems to me that simply tapping down there would be enough to make it do what it needs to do. Hold your thumb there for siri. Why the physical press? What is the advantage?

2. DefDad macrumors member

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Now with the metal ring surrounding the fingerprint sensor that may no longer be true.

I hope to see the functionality added during the 5s's lifespan or the 6's.

I returned my 5s and went back to the 5 because honestly, with my use-case I could barely perceive the speed difference, I don't really use the camera much and the fingerprint sensor didn't add enough to the experience.

Adding the OP's requested functionality would be a huge step in the right direction.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There would still have to be something that allowed the steel ring to know, when you placed a finger on it.

5. DefDad macrumors member

I agree it would be a nice feature if it wouldn't be a constant drain on the battery (which it would) and if it didn't constantly wake up your phone while moving around in your pocket or purse telling you to "Try Again".

Any kind of touch sensor needs to be powered up to detect a touch. Using a push button with physical switch contacts does not have to be powered up to work. There is voltage on one side of the switch, but until you push the button and the contacts touch together, there is no current flow and no battery drain through the switch thereby increasing battery standby time.

6. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

You do have to consider the metal ring probably is only powered up if you're on the lock screen or the app store. Theres no reason for it to be drawing power if it doesn't need to be used. It probably doesn't use much power anyway though, so it wouldn't matter much.

7. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I hope Apple can figure out how to do it without sacrificing battery life because the home button is usually the first thing to get worn out and stop working. Double tapping for multitasking is the worst!

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

9. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Just wait for the 5s jailbreak, I am sure someone will figure this out :D

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

Somebody in the JB Community already has, it's called "Screen Dimmer"

Via Screen Dimmer you can set an iPhone 5S to Shut Off the screen, Lock the phone but Stay Awake.

11. Poly macrumors 6502

That was my thought, too!
    Because this is now just a matter of software. :)

12. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

How did they do tag without a 5s jailbreak? Or is there on I just don't know about?

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

I know cuz back in iOS6 you can set it up that way. It's not too far off that you can do the same thing in iOS7.