5s the last Apple phone with a 4inch screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrobles70, Sep 16, 2013.

1. wrobles70 macrumors newbie

I'm particularly fond of the size of my 4s screen and I think the jump to the 5s screen is a perfect size upgrade. The question is, is it possible next year's iP6 screen will increase in size and the 5s will be the last phone Apple will offer in this size? If so, and you are fonder of a smaller sized phone this upgrade might be mandatory.

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Same form factor with a 4.3 or 4.5 inch display, and I'll stick with Apple. I even like the 4s as well. If they go beyond that with a wider iphone like Samsung, and others, I will keep my iPhone as long as I can until I find a new one that is not wider than the iphone 5 or 5S.

I like something that can be used with my one hand. ;)

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You been reading too many "Big Screen is Inevitable!" posts.

If smaller screen discontinues, I will buy a dozen phones, never update anything and use the lot until they die.

4. mdcosta911 macrumors member

mdcosta911

I'll take same-form-factor-larger-screen. This means an edge-to-edge screen design concept that will once again set Apple apart from its competitors.

I really don't want a larger device than the 5/5s. I don't like the 'phablets'. I like a more compact light and thin design.

Something along the lines of this concept-
    [​IMG]

5. Vctr macrumors regular

Why are you so adamant on having a smaller screen? Don't you recognize that there may be benefits to a larger screen?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The only way I see it happening is if they can keep the same form factor and just make the screen bigger, maybe removing the physical button, who knows... I expect them to keep the same size screen at least until the iPhone 7 when other screen technologies that can bend and other stuff will be more available.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The benefits are subjective.

Some people prefer smaller screens. For instance, the largest phone screen size I can deal with before it's too obnoxious and uncomfortable is 4.5 - 4.7. For instance I like the Galaxy Note, but it's WAY too large for me to like. I'd the largest phone I'd ever buy is 4.7 inches. I would much more prefer a 4-4.3 inch screen though; it's one of the reasons I have an iPhone 5, because I get a premium phone that's not a giant mega phone. I was really disappointed with the HTC One Mini, because it had the perfect screen size but the internals were so low that the device wasn't really worth it compared to the iPhone.

If Apple were to drop the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen, I'm not sure if I would stay with the iPhone. Some people just happen to like smaller screens.

8. Vctr macrumors regular

I think we can both agree that what it really comes down to is implementation. It matters how Apple goes about doing a larger screen. I was just pointing out how close minded that poster was.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why are you adamant about those being benefits to him?

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

It's not being closed minded. Poster probably had one or played with one as I did, a larger display phone, and did not like it one bit. A 4.3 inch display would be OK with the same case as the iphone 5/5s, and no more. That is not being closed minded, but what we feel comfortable with.

Over 57,000.00 million iPhone 5's have been sold thus far, but we hear from only those few on these kind of forums for a much larger one. I believe Apple will continue with their business model, and not jump up to a huge phone in the future...

11. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

If Apple do increase the screen size, the "C" class model will likely retain the 4 inch screen, while the high end model gets upgraded. Unless they make another class altogether specifically for the bigger screen, but I'm not sure Apple would do that purely to pander to those that want a huge screen.

4.3" max i say, unless they can do it AND keep roughly the same handset size. I understand why some people want a larger screen, I here arguments for it every day in work, but I don't really need any larger than what we have now, because I have pinch to zoom and eyes that can see further than 3 inches in front of my face.

Plus, the larger they get, the less iPads they sell.

12. Vctr macrumors regular

That's why I said that there "may" be benefits. The truth is that none of us know what a larger iPhone looks like, so to write it off even without seeing it is short sighted.

13. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think 4.5 inch is the next iPhone screen size. They'll somehow find a way to do it while the form factor stays one handed operational. Then you'll see Ive talk about new design, beautiful, elegant, modern lol

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Why are so many people eager for the iPhone to get a bigger screen? The 5s is only the 2nd iPhone with a 4-inch screen, it's not like it is the 4th or 5th.

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

There will be at least one more, the 6C. I agree though that the iPhone 6 will have a larger screen. If Apple introduces a larger screen with 32GB base model with 128GB option they will have a run away success.

16. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. To me, it seems pretty obvious that Apple is planning on having two iPhone models next year. On one hand there will be the iPhone 6, which will sport a 4.5 inch or larger screen in a glass and aluminum body not much larger than the 5S. On the other hand, there will be the iPhone 6C, which will basically be the 5S in a plastic shell, and will have a 4 inch screen like it does now. At least, that's what I think they're planning on. It would further differentiate the 2 even more, since one of the few differentiating factors currently in place that customers actually care about, the fingerprint scanner, would no doubt be included on this 6C model.

17. OMAC83 macrumors member

Did you buy a dozen tube tvs before they discontinued those? Lol

----------

Apple sold 5.7 trillion iPhone 5's?

For the record I would love a 5" iPhone

18. Vctr, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Vctr macrumors regular

I see the screen size being addressed in a few ways ....

1. Apple decides that the 4" screen is the way to go and they stick with that for a couple of years.

2. Apple decides they need to do a larger screen.

Currently they have a 4" Screen with 1136 x 640 resolution which is 326 dpi. If they do a 4.3" Screen and keep the resolution at 1136 x 640 resolution, this makes the dpi 303 which is still > 300, which keeps it at "retina" resolution. This is totally achievable with current display technology. 4.3" is the largest they can go with the current resolution while keeping it at retina resolution. I think if they do go to the 4.3" screen, that will become the new standard screen size.

They could also go larger than 4.3", but they would need to increase the resolution so that they can keep the "retina" designation. I think the only situation where Apple changes their resolution at this point is if they can "double" the resolution to make it 2272 x 1280. Anything else would be asking a lot from developers especially given the fact that Apple had only recently made the 4" screen change. To ask developers to retool their apps for different resolutions twice in a matter of 3 years is a lot and I think its a problem that Apple wants to avoid if it can help it. I think if they do go for a 2272 x 1280 resolution, they might go for a much larger screen size of 5" making the dpi 522. In this situation, they would have a 5" iPhone "Phablet" model, a 4" iPhone flagship model and a 4" iPhone C model. The 5" iPhone would start at $299, the flagship at $199, and the C plastic model at $99.

I can see Apple doing the 5" iPhone for a couple of reasons. First, it creates a highly differentiated product. You would be covering all corners of the market: from the super high-end (phablet), high-end (normal smartphone), and the lower than high-end (plastic smartphone). Secondly, it gives them a valid reason to charge an extra $100 for a phablet.

19. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

20. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

No chance. They keep the 4" size and bring a 4.7"-5" model alongside it next year.

----------

You are ridiculous.

21. OMAC83 macrumors member

I hardly consider a 5" a phablet? Maybe I'm wrong

22. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I would think apple would begin to produce two flagship iPhones. A 4" model and a larger one. I cannot see Apple just dropping the 4" model or even making it the $99 or $0 option. No way.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

No they did not.....

Attached Files:

24. muratime macrumors member

muratime

I can't understand why not having both in market as brand new each year and let customer decide which is their choice?
    I can't understand why not making Iphone like we have different size imacs in market...
    Why we need discuss about which is best size?
    It can vary to person to person..
    Why apple let's this questions to be asked for Iphone?