5s will probably save lots of time!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Sep 14, 2013.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Apple says the 5s will offer approximately double the speed and a slight improvement on most tasks. Looking at the speed from a 4s to a 5 I can feel comfortable in getting a similar increase in speed from a 5 to a 5s...

If I open up an app, game or access a setting 150 times a day (which might be a low number) and I save on average 2 seconds per instance it would save me 300 seconds or 5 minutes a day of wait time. Over a year that would save 30.42 hours which to me is worth the investment of $100 versus the 5c... Regardless of when my upgrade is due. My time is valuable.

What are your thoughts?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Don't forget also all the seconds you will be saving with the Touch ID sensor and not having to enter in your password anymore! :eek:

I guess I don't look at my time that literally though to calculate the seconds saved added up over a year.

3. Kendo macrumors 68000

30 hours over 8760 hours in a year is 0.003%. So if you make $10 an hour and your boss gives you a 3 cent raise, is it really that big of a jump?

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you went THAT far to try to justify buying this? No wonder they call us sheep

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Total hours in a year = 8760
    30 out of 8760 = 0.000114...

Congratulations, you just saved 0.01% of your time.

6. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

So with this logic, who would have ever cared how slow the original iPhone was? If that was the case, you would be multiplying that number by 56.

Time is the one thing no one can buy. It is very important to some, and the few of you its not, it will be when you are older.

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I want my time back I spent on this thread.

Seriously though it's good to save time. The difference here is small though.

8. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I think any time the OP would save with the new 5S was probably just used up making this thread :p

9. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha! You assume quite a lot but are way off. I am in no need of justifying, I have 5 lines with AT&T and I get the new iPhone every year at the 2 year upgrade pricing, but that's besides the point. I was just throwing some numbers out that show an idea of time that could be saved by having the new phone. It may make sense so some or not much sense to others. I just wanted people to discuss and/or think about it. People tend to enjoy saving time or doing or having things that are more convenient. Saving time by buying the newest phone with the most "horsepower" that quite a lot of people spend a fair amount of time on might mean enough for some people to spend some extra money towards. It's a bonus to me.

----------

This post didn't take anywhere near an entire day, lol!!

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

If the time was not stretched out over so long a period of time, I would think its great. But its not. So I don't give it a thought. Unless I had a phone that dragged on and bought the iphone 5S and it flew like a bird, than I would be a happy camper. ;)

11. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why use money versus time? 30 hours is well over an entire day waiting for a phone to compute or pull info from a server, etc... That to me is time I'd rather spend by doing something else. If others would rather spend that time waiting for a phone to do those things then so be it, life obviously goes on.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

LOL. A classic Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

The folklore says Jobs used to demand of his programmers:

Jobs: You must make the Mac boot 5 seconds faster.

Programmer: But we already tweaked it to the max, is impossible any further improvement!

Jobs: Think. You save one person 5 seconds, we sell 30 millions Macs, now you have saved humanity this much time!

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

I was trying to give an analogy on how small 0.003% is. For example, a 30 minute TV show has about 8 minutes of commercials or 480 seconds. 0.003% of 480 seconds is 1.44 seconds. How much time would you notice if 1.44 seconds was shaved off 8 minutes worth of commercials?

14. Angler macrumors regular

You wasted most of the time saved by posting this. :)

15. matttye macrumors 601

You're assuming the bottleneck in everything you do is the processor rather than the OS itself. iOS 7 animations are rather slow. From what I'm reading, the entire OS is slower than iOS 6, so perhaps it would benefit you from a time saving perspective to buy an iPhone 5 now quickly or keep the iPhone 5 you've already got, and not update to iOS 7.

If time is that important to you.. ;)

16. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Time saved is time saved and it adds up, especially if I'm gonna have a phone for years. And I save lots of time by recording shows and not watching commercials which adds up lots more time to do other things.

17. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, some assumptions are to be made as the phone isn't in the wild yet, but typically animations are sped up over time so I think the same will hold true with iOS 7 with a future update, overall I think a fair amount of time will be gained even with slower animations.

18. matttye macrumors 601

You're right when you're talking about loading games and other apps that may take a little while to open, but when opening the stock apps like settings etc., they already open as fast as possible really. It's the animation that makes them take any time at all to open. I'm sure they could all open instantly without an animation.

19. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I would personally find ram a lot more helpful so you don't have to wait for recent apps to reload.

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Call me when it doubles the speed of surfing/downloading the internet.

Signed, what'sreallyslowingusdown.​

21. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga