5S with no case , how's yours holding up ?

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Just took the case off my silver 5s , how do they hold up I only ever had a black 5 and cased it the whole time .

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
It all depends of course on how you treat your phone. I've basically gone naked with mine. Just have a Caudabe Veil on there for scratch and minor bump protection and to protect the chamfered edges. It's been great so far. But then again I treat my phones well.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Yea I'm very careful but I have kids and it's hard to keep it laying around on the charger without my 2 year old thinking it's a toy , but I'm sick of not seeing the phone itself it's so nice and I wanna use it naked so screw it , I hope the silver is more durable than the black

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
i can only report on the (naked) iphone4, but i've dropped that one from waist height countless times on nearly every surface available with barely any visible scratches/dents (in bright sunlight you can see a few, but that's it). once it even slid on gravel path for about 3 meters (got some nice, but still barely visible, parallel scratches from this).

as the 5 and 5s got newer gorilla glass and an aluminium back, i'd guess they are even tougher.

i've seen a few broken screens as well on other peoples phones who seemed to need just one unlucky drop for this - but i guess you'd need a pretty tough case/protector to avoid that one pointy stone that's destined to be your phone's doom.

i'm usually not really careful with my devices, but i'm also not exceptionally careless - the only apple product i ever managed to destroy was an ipod classic 20g, i accidentially jumped on. and even that one lived for another three days (btw. ipad: 1, ikea aluminium trashcan: 0 )

ihonda

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2009
i have a white/silver 5s, no screen protector or no case. just have a tiny tiny tiny chip type mark on top bezel, only see it if sun hits it the right way. i usually keep phone by itself but theres been a few times ive had it in my jacket pocket with keys on accident. holds up so much better then the black one

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
How and what case ?
i had it in an incase slider case that had two parts, what happened was that something got under the case, and once i slid it off it dragged it across the phone scratching it. they fixed this with their newer one by putting a cloth back to it and sliding not against the phone, i had that case for a bit but then got the apple case and couldn't go back.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
naked gold 5S, it's alright, keep it in a pocket alone with no keys and the bezel has quite a few scratches. totally naked, totally worth it.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
My naked 5 is looking a tad used now (not bad for nearly two years running though, a little paint rubbing on the chamfer) then again my ex naked 5S work phone is looking worse after dropping it at work. Massive chassis dent (screen is fine but I can actually see into the phone slightly, cased it now!)

Stick it in my pocket with keys, small work tools, loose coins etc. I abuse the things. Still never broken one though.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I was actually thinking of getting the black leather case for my 5s! How is it? Does it add alot of bulk?
I like the black leather apple case, and it doesn't add a lot of bulk. Black wears a lot better than the other colors.