5th Gen Airport Extreme vs New Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gbroadhead, Nov 15, 2013.

1. gbroadhead macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a new router and I'm currently considering these 2.

5th Gen Airport Extreme (http://www.amazon.com/AirPort-Extreme-802-11n-5th-Generation/dp/B0057AVXJA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

or

Brand new Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/airport-express/)

Not willing to buy the new Extreme, because none of my devices are a/c compatible yet.

I've heard that 5th Gen extremes have the same beamforming capability that the new extremes have. Can anyone confirm this?(http://www.macworld.com/article/116...ess_a_tiny_wi_fi_base_station_powerhouse.html)

Basically, I'm wondering if buying the 5th gen extreme will translate into better range and throughput than a brand new express. It would be nice to have the extra features offered on the 5th gen extreme with aren't offered on the current express, plus a 5th gen extreme is a little cheaper than a new express. Does anyone have experience with the 5th gen extreme and the current express? Please share!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You are talking single port, vs 3 port if that matters much.

Also the 2012 Express maxes at 50 wireless devices/connections. Probably not an issue, the previous Express maxed at 10, which was.

You can get an Apple refurb Extreme, with full year warranty, for $99. I did this last month. Does great.
    The 2012 Express refurb is $75.

I ponied up for the $99 Extreme last month when I replaced my quirky hacked lynskey that I finally got tired of rebooting.

I don't see any mention of Beamforming in the article you linked on the Express. It's my understanding that Beamforming is specific to 802.11ac. Beware.

I get this at my father's on his 2012 Express. He has 3, set to extend network to cover his house. Bandwidth isn't much of an issue on these little guys.

[​IMG]

3. gbroadhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response! Can you post a link for the refurb you bought? Was the refurb you bought a 5th gen, or the current gen extreme?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5. gbroadhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the link! Obviously the 2012 expresses have great throughput per your speedtest screenshot. In your opinion, would you say your 5th gen extreme, or your dads 2012 express gets better range? Is your 5th gen extreme as fast as your dads expresses?

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Can't quantify range. Both seem acceptable, except in his 4,000sq ft house we use 3 to blanket it. My House is a small 1400 sq ft ranch, and the single Extreme is sufficient.

Two different internet connections, so hard to tell. I have the fancier Extreme but wimpy ATT 18mbps UVerse, he has the little Express but 100mbps local municipal fiber.

7. gbroadhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, I'm kinda leaning towards the 5th gen extreme just for the extra feature set. Really appreciate your input!