5th gen iPod: Is it fine if I left it connected for 30 minutes after I recharged it?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by doxavita, Jan 27, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I have a 5th gen iPod. I forgot to unplug it after it finished fully charging (30 more minutes to be exact), is that fine? no issues with the battery?

thanks!

2. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I assume it will just stop recharging during the extended time.
    Can it wear down the battery over time? I never forget. Just this one time :p

3. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

If it's a fifth-gen iPod, it's battery is probably weared down quite a bit already.

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right. Usually I always do a full charge/discharge cycle to calibrate the battery a bit and see if it lasts longer. Do you think it may even be good to leave it charging more sometimes? I never forget to unplug it, just this one time.

5. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

It shouldn't make any difference. Are you seeing any problems or is this just precautionary? I have my iPad technically plugging in (charging via USB from my laptop) all the time and I never get any trouble. I don't track when it reaches 100%.

6. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just as a precaution. I know it shouldn't really matter this time (never do it), but the battery does have a lifespan after all.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There are circuits built into the charging/battery process that stop it from continuing to charge after it is totally charged. I leave my iPod classic (and before that the 3 different 5th gens that I had) plugged in all the time in a speaker dock and I've never had any problems with the batteries.

8. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

It trickle charges after it fully charges. You could leave it plugged in 24/7 and it would be fine.

9. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

Exactly! You cannot overcharge it.