5th gen Touch completely FUBAR - what are my options…?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AthenaNoctua, Aug 22, 2014.

1. AthenaNoctua macrumors newbie

Hiya

I'm autistic and not very good at explaining stuff, and I'm no good at this form thing, either, so please bear with me…

I've 2 iPods - a 4th and a 5th. The 5th was purchased almost as soon as they were available, so it's now nearly 2 years old. I didn't purchase extended AC at the time, because I couldn't afford it and, by the time I could, I was 10 months too late (I didn't realise that Apple had changed the extension period to only 30 days).

As Sod's law dictates, it started malfunctioning about 48hrs after the AC expired. The first thing I noticed was a slight blue streak from the bottom of the screen extending about halfway up. I didn't think much of it as it seemed to be working okay aside from that. Then, a few days later, I noted that the screen would 'ripple' slightly every time I tapped a key. On closer inspection, I saw that the screen was beginning to part company with the back plate - on BOTH sides. It would also pop up the 'this cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPod' or, more recently, 'charging is not supported with this accessory' warnings with increasing frequency.

I soldiered on with it in this state (I had no option; I'm stuck in bed with a chronic illness and I've absolutely no means of getting myself well, primarily due to the fact that my autism is too severe and that the NHS is refusing to accommodate) but, now, the screen is lifting up like the lid of a scanner (best way to describe it, I HOPE that makes sense) to the point where I've had to wrap old hair elastics around the dock end because, if I didn't, the Home button would fall out!

I'm typing this on the 4th (I have no access to a computer) and it's sitting on the bedside table, with the System Monitor app open and the charging gauge reading 100% and trickle charging. However, if I then proceed to use it (whilst still attached; I daren't remove it for fear it'll die and that be the end of it), the battery will discharge like it was unplugged. This happens fastest whilst using a streaming radio app (Rdio in this case). It'll start off full and then, around 20-30 minutes later, it'll pop up the '20% remaining' warning yet, if you examine the little battery gauge, it'll be showing the charging indicator.

Finally, yesterday I noticed a piece of narrow black tape, around 3/4-1" long, hanging out of the left side near the top. It seems to be made of the same type of plastic film of which the 'rip strips' on padded mailers are made, if that makes sense.

Please understand that it has NEVER been subject to any form of abuse; it lives in a lined, and slightly padded, soft leather zipped case, which it shares with my cans (they live in the back pocket, it lives in the front, and the charger and cable live in a drawstring pouch attached to one of the side loops) and, due to my illness, it's NEVER even left the house!

Personally, I feel that the design and construction are appalling; the screen appears to be simply 'laid' on top of the backplate, which appears to be simply a shallow tray housing the innards (the phrase 'style over substance' springs instantly to mind). The 4th has been subjected to every type and kind of abuse imaginable (including being dropped down the bog - twice!) and, aside from a rather scratched and scuffed backplate, is in perfect working order.

So what are my options, considering the fact that Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has apparently decided to abandon the Touch in favour of the iWatch (or whatever-the-feck they're calling it this week…). Needless to say, that doesn't interest me in the slightest, and besides, we've HAD an iWatch (kinda) in the form of the 6th gen nano.

If I didn't have apps I use on a very regular basis that required 7, I'd revert to the 4th and try and forget that the 5th ever existed but, as I do, that ain't possible. That notwithstanding, I'm not ENTIRELY certain I even WANT another Touch - once bitten, y'know…?

I've been looking at Retina minis but I'd need a decent amount of storage (the base 16GB would be nowhere NEAR enough - the Touch is 64 and almost perpetually 80-90% full) and a 64GB mini would PROBABLY make my folks run away screaming (yep, I'd have to grovel to them because I'm on disability benefits).

I know that, to most of you, an iDevice isn't a necessity; it's something which makes your lives easier, but you could probably live without it if you had to. It's the complete opposite for me - it's a survival kit. I can't do many of the things you probably do without thinking, like using the phone, or doing a food shop. Even when I WAS well, I'd use Ocado because the thought of going round Waitrose made me physically sick (also, with Ocado, I could get far more because walking 5 miles with heavy shopping (I can't drive, either; I quit learning because I knew I'd never feel safe on the road) isn't something you really feel like doing too often… Email is my sole form of communication (and, even then, I can't always compose it without becoming frustrated).

In an ideal world, I'd be able to have something with 3/4G but that requires a contract - and what MSP is going to give a data contract to someone on benefits with feck all credit history…?! - because the ability to be able to use something like Google or Apple maps whilst out would be a lifesaver. I find using a paper map impossible but, if I had something which updated itself in real time, and on which I could see my plotted route advance as I followed it, it'd reduce my chances of becoming hideously lost to almost zero.

Not only that, but being able to locate bus/tram stops, bus/rail stations, taxi ranks/offices without wandering round and round in an aimless circle for hours… y'see, I'm unable to ask for directions and, even if I was, I would be able to follow them, my brain simply isn't wired that way.

So, what does anyone suggest/recommend…? I'd jump ship for Android, but nobody else does anything iPod-esque and, besides, I'm fairly certain a few of my favourite apps are iOS-only.

Sod's law would also dictate that this had to happen on a bank holiday weekend, too!

Okay, I've ranted and rambled long enough - I'd REALLY appreciate timely help here, folks!

Thank you very much,

Sarah

2. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

I would contact Apple directly

Hi Sarah,
    Your description of the damage sounds like you might have a battery swelling up. I have not seen this happen on an ipod but have seen it in APC Battery backUPS, where the battery swells so much you can't get it out to replace it without a lot of force. If that is what is happening to your ipod, Apple might be willing to do something about it even though it is not under warranty. Maybe you could send this same description to Apple Support and see what they can do for you. I hope they see fit to replace it for you.
    Charly

3. saudor macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would first take it into apple and see what they say. Just be sure to tell them that it started 48 hours after the AC expired.

It could potentially turn into a safety issue and that's definitely not a good thing. That being said, be careful with charging - it could heat up/burst.

Worst case scenario, i think out of warranty repairs are still cheaper than buying new. Another option might be to get Retina Mini 32 GB and offload your apps between that and your iPod 4th gen. The apple refurb store might be an option to you on both regards.

If you're buying a new device, it might be best to wait a bit until the next round of refreshes in a month or two.

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Definitely have Apple take a look at it first and see what they say. Let us know what happens.