5v adapter VS Wall Plug In

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thpsycho, Jan 27, 2012.

1. thpsycho macrumors newbie

When i bought my iphone it came with a 5V adapter charger. Recently i have moved to Singapore and i have bought a Wall USB Plug-In (with no adapter built in) so because my original iphone charger's plug in is not compatible with the Singapore outlet.

Question is, will my phone's batter get damage if i use this 'wall usb plug-in (with no adaptor)' vs using my old charger which has a 5v adapter ?

Picture:
    Left - Original iphone charger with 5v adapter
    Right - Wall USB plug in

Attached Files:

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

No, the charging electronics are in the phone not the charger (sort of an erroneous term for the brick you stick into the socket.)

You might be surprised just how dirty the power coming out of these things are, most are pretty simple rectifiers so you should be fine.

3. jaynone macrumors member

Are you saying the thing on the right takes 220-240v and throws it directly into the usb cable? I'm 99.9% sure you are wrong and it is a 5v transformer built in. If you plug your iPhone in and it catches fire then we will know that it doesn't have a transformer.

You also could have just bought an adaptor for your original charger (the left one) and used it in singapore.

[​IMG]

4. thpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Both chargers you show have the same internals. But one is slightly updated and miniaturized. The one on the left is the older style with changeable prongs and the other is the "compact" version introduced with the iPhone 3G. They both do the same thing and will not damage your device.

6. thpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Actually when i read on the bottom of the 'wall plug in' again.. yeah it has output of 5V 1A. Guess i was just assuming that it's so small compared to the 'left' one i just thought there's no transformer.

Thanks for the clarification

----------

I wouldn't have known, thanks for the info. I'm still a iphone newbie - only bought the iphone4 in may '11 (and it's my first iphone)