6.6 GB of "other" on iPhone 4S 64 GB

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Is this normal for iOS 5 to take up 6.6 GB of space on my new iPhone 4S? Or is this a bug?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
"Other" = App Data pretty much

Go to Settings > General > Usage
Have a look at which apps take up the most space, and then look at the size of the App's Documents & Data by tapping on it.

Apps like Twitter, Facebook, and many others, cache a lot of data (display pictures, etc) and so can inflate over a period of time to be quite large. These caches are automatically purged by iOS 5 if you start running low on space, just so you know.

Can't say thats normal per se, however do you have a lot of audio books or ebooks?
I'm sure Auido Books and eBooks (assuming iBooks, else see what I've said above) would come under Music and Books respectively in the iTunes storage bar.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Can't say thats normal per se, however do you have a lot of audio books or ebooks?
Not a single audio book or eBook. I have a TON of music though?

It's currently 9.9 GB for "Music" in the Usage section.

I've googled my question and a lot of people seem to have this problem too. Some even bigger than mine e.g 15 GB of "other" on a 32GB iPhone ?

Most point out to the fact that the data is corrupted and I need to do a full restore as a "new iPhone", which makes 0 sense in my case as I did a full restore last night and re-synched everything because my new 4S was bugging out.

There seems to be so many problems with the new 4S and iOS 5... blah

henrylkr

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Not a single audio book or eBook. I have a TON of music though?

It's currently 9.9 GB for "Music" in the Usage section.

I've googled my question and a lot of people seem to have this problem too. Some even bigger than mine e.g 15 GB of "other" on a 32GB iPhone ?

Most point out to the fact that the data is corrupted and I need to do a full restore as a "new iPhone", which makes 0 sense in my case as I did a full restore last night and re-synched everything because my new 4S was bugging out.

There seems to be so many problems with the new 4S and iOS 5... blah
Resyncing just causes the "Other" data saved in the backup to be restored into the phone. That's why you won't see a difference.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hmmm. I just plugged my iPhone 4S into my Macbook Air and when I checked others, it now says "0.60 GB" for "others".

The reason I was a little worried was because i checked "Usage" on my iPhone and it says 42.5 GB available, 14.9 GB used. Therefore I assumed 6.6 GB of the remaining 64 GB was "other".

Guess 6 GB really is the software of my phone and .6 GB is other.

I feel dumb >.>

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Hmmm. I just plugged my iPhone 4S into my Macbook Air and when I checked others, it now says "0.60 GB" for "others".

The reason I was a little worried was because i checked "Usage" on my iPhone and it says 42.5 GB available, 14.9 GB used. Therefore I assumed 6.6 GB of the remaining 64 GB was "other".

Guess 6 GB really is the software of my phone and .6 GB is other.

I feel dumb >.>
Oh well, people on here do stupider stuff every day. :rolleyes:

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
It'll clear itself when you need the space (The app icon will dim and its name will change to "Cleaning...")

Or you can just delete the app entirely and reinstall it to clear the cache.

Or, the app may contain a clear cache button.
So its up to the individual app itself, there isn't a option that "clear out app cache" in settings?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
So its up to the individual app itself, there isn't a option that "clear out app cache" in settings?
In early iOS 5 betas there was an option in settings to delete an App's Documents & Data (which includes caches), but it was taken out in later betas and in the final release.
- So yeah, it just depends on the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.