6-7 hours of battery on 13" i5 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dizmonk, Nov 3, 2013.

1. dizmonk macrumors regular

So I was curious how much real-world usage I was getting. Using battery logger I'm generally getting 6-7 hours of usage going from 100% to 0% battery. Yes the brightness is up about 2/3rds but I'm not doing anything intensive...

Mainly Keynote, iTunes, Safari, etc....

Is this consistent with what you're getting??? Much lower than Apple's claim of 9 hours.

Another reason I'm returning it to get my refurbed MBA. :)

2. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Safari can eat up a hefty part of the battery life if you are running flash heavy sites.

3. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

I've got the click-to-flash extension on...

4. Breedlove macrumors regular

5. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

yes.. what's the problem with Dropbox?

6. gorcman macrumors member

I'm getting about 8.5 hours on mine under normal web browsing use and light video playback. (brightness set to 10/16).

There have been reviews posted where people are getting 10-11 hours of web browsing. Not sure how they're managing that.

System Specs:
    13 inch Retina (late october 2013)
    2.6 ghz i5
    512 SSD
    16gb RAM

7. DaRealElvis macrumors member

I get like 6 hours with just using word and chrome. Can I consider that normal? Brightness almost the highest setting (1-2 bars below).

8. theromz macrumors regular

I can get 10hours if it is just chrome, when I start to use a few more programs I can get around 7-8hours out of it. I would take apple's claim for 9hours to be the upper limit and only possible if you reduce brightness and so on.

9. Breedlove macrumors regular

Dropbox sometimes gets stuck in a constant syncing loop which ends up being quite power and cpu intensive.

I had the same problem last night. Problem solved after closing the app.

10. R3fr3sh macrumors member

my late 2012 13" got 6-7 hours, and my wife's new 2013 13" gets about 7-8 hours roughly. Not a big difference. I don't see a big jump in overall performance. Should have given mine to her and purchased the new 15" :D

11. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

Does Google Drive have the same effect as Dropbox?

I read that Dropbox fixed the problem. When I exited the app I gained maybe 15 minutes....

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

mine reports just about 7 hours but i haven't run down a full charge yet. chrome seems to eat a bunch of battery - i'm wondering if using safari instead will jump the battery life?

13. dizmonk thread starter macrumors regular

I've been using Safari for the most part and I don't think it makes a big difference.