$6.8 Million Of Taxpayer Money To Pro Sports Teams For Military Tributes

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
This is infuriating. Kim Jung il or whatever the **** his name is would be proud. If the DoD wants to waste money, how about donating it to the VA instead.

WASHINGTON -- The Department of Defense doled out as much as $6.8 million in taxpayer money to professional sports teams to honor the military at games and events over the past four years, an amount it has “downplayed” amid scrutiny, a report unveiled by two Senate Republicans on Wednesday found.

Arizona Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake began looking into the Defense Department’s spending of taxpayer dollars on military tributes in June after they discovered the New Jersey Army National Guard paid the New York Jets $115,000 to recognize soldiers at home games.

The 145-page report released Wednesday dives deeper, revealing that 72 of the 122 professional sports contracts analyzed contained items deemed “paid patriotism” -- the payment of taxpayer or Defense funds to teams in exchange for tributes like NFL’s “Salute to Service.” Honors paid for by the DOD were found not only in the NFL, but also the NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS. They included on-field color guard ceremonies, performances of the national anthem, and ceremonial first pitches and puck drops.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
meh, not as bad as the gov't spending $1.1M to study the "Freshman 15".

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
The marriage of professional sports and the military is a long one. I don't like it. I do wish we could do without the color guards, flyovers and other tributes. But as jkcerda would say, we're a war mongering nation, so that's just one of the prices we pay for over-glorifying the military.

Reactions: zioxide

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
The football coaches at Navy, Air Force, and Army all earn more than the Secretary of Defense. In fact, those three are the highest-paid individuals in the DoD.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
The marriage of professional sports and the military is a long one. I don't like it. I do wish we could do without the color guards, flyovers and other tributes. But as jkcerda would say, we're a war mongering nation, so that's just one of the prices we pay for over-glorifying the military.
When stated like that, how different are we from N. Korea?

Food for thought.

BL.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not actually surprised by this. It's stealth advertising. The military has a recruitment budget, some of which goes to run stupid propaganda at the beginning of films that may attract a teenage audience.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Goodell is ordering the teams to pay back the money.

We have VA hospitals crumbling and the DOD is paying NFL teams to wave American flags during pregame.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
The NFL should be ashamed of themselves for requiring money in order for them to recognize the sacrifice of our soldiers, many of whom gave their lives so profiteers like the NFL could even exist.

Reactions: maxsix and tshrimp

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The NFL should be ashamed of themselves for requiring money in order for them to recognize the sacrifice of our soldiers, many of whom gave their lives so profiteers like the NFL could even exist.
The teams were paid directly.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
The teams were paid directly.
Whatever level it happened at, it is still disgraceful and whoever approved this type of spending within our government needs to be called out for it and investigated for possible corruption.

Reactions: bradl

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Whatever level it happened at, it is still disgraceful and whoever approved this type of spending within our government needs to be called out for it and investigated for possible corruption.
I would not call it corruption, just wasteful spending. One the NFL should not need to take money to honor veterans. And the DoD has better things to spend that money on. More stupid vs illegal.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I would not call it corruption, just wasteful spending. One the NFL should not need to take money to honor veterans. And the DoD has better things to spend that money on. More stupid vs illegal.
Not corrupt, and definitely not illegal...

But sure as hell is UNETHICAL.

BL.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Don't be naive, we need to make sure that there was no quid pro quo taking place.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Don't be naive, we need to make sure that there was no quid pro quo taking place.
And if that is the case, that would make it even more unethical. This is turning nasty as it touches every major sport except for golf, and ironically enough, NASCAR.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Ironically, why?
A lot of spending for recruitment (read: advertising/tributes) happens at a lot of NASCAR events. The Army and Air Force spend a considerable amount of money for their presence there. I want to say just about every branch save the Coast Guard. But there is a LOT of money spent by the Armed Forces at NASCAR events, including having their own cars racing.

BL.