6+ actually has a 2208×1242 resolution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Sep 17, 2014.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Very surprised to read this part from Gruber's blog. I guess it upscales apps to 2208 x 1242 and then downscales them to 1920 x 1080 on the fly. Kinda wonky...

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I imagine this is because 2208 x 1242 is an odd resolution, and the manufacture of such a LCD panel would be less viable than using a 1080p panel and scaling to fit it. That's probably been said many times already though.

4. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

No, no! It is actually 4000 by 2000 !!! After all, it's a plus model ! It can be whatever you desire it to be !!!

5. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

IMO, I think the Plus was originally supposed to have a 2208x1242 display, however problems with the panels caused them to change it before shipping them stateside. The 2208x1242 ROMs were already made and the DPI was already set so there was no going back.

6. itjw macrumors 65816

Yep. One GeeBee of RAMM with a downscaling display full of jittery animations.

So glad I went with the 6.

Maybe the 6S+ will have a true 3x, non-downscaling screen.

:cool:

7. Cryates macrumors 65816

8. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

This is so sad and cheap of apple. I know they did it because the panels are way cheaper and easier to find but they should have got their s*** sorted out sooner so buyers didn't have to deal with such a stupid backwards thing like this. Cheapens the phone alot.

9. Cryates macrumors 65816

Buyers don't have to deal with it lol....you won't even notice.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this guy here truly has no idea how SOC works.

11. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

They probably did this because they changed out the panels at the last minute. It's bad enough that the production of the Plus is a third of the regular 6. Imagine if they had kept the higher end display? We probably wouldn't have seen the Plus until next year.

Would the end consumer rather deal with slight lag that they will never notice and will never have issues with, or a display with stuck pixels? I'd take the downscaling over stuck pixels any day.

12. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Dealing with things is not apple style, nor is lag that effects fluidity.

My point is they shouldn't of had screen problems. They are a gigantic company with loads of money, they should have had this stuff ready from the start, it's a major screw up.

13. Gincoma macrumors 6502

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

You do realize Apple doesn't make the LCD panels correct? It's an outside 3rd party company like it's always been. The Plus doesn't look laggy at all from the videos I have seen so I have no reason to believe it would be any different in real life.

Issues arise and they have to be dealt with. Apple couldn't have known the iPhone would have these problems could they? The issue was fixed, there is very little to no lag that the end user would see in every day usage of the phone.

----------

The phone has to make the image into a lower resolution to display it on screen causing more stress on the GPU.

15. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

They contract the panels to be made. If they had gotten the jump earlier than they did I'm sure they would have had no problem manufacturing the panels.

Just speculation though, but I have doubts that they couldn't get it done had they started a long time ago.

As for the lag I guess we have to wait for hands on, but the reviewers have mentioned it. I think lag on these devices is inexcusable, that's low tier android level stuff.

16. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

The image is rendered bigger than what the screen displays. Basically the rendered pixels won't line up perfectly with the physical pixels of the screen.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pretty sure it was always going to be 1920x1080.

Apple use the higher resolution so developers can just make @3x resources instead of whatever percentage the 1920x1080 is natively.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

That's true actually. I remember reading somewhere that if they did 3x resources on the correct DPI for the 1080p display, it would actually be a smaller DPI then the regular 6 allowing for the display to be used inefficiently. Apps would take up the whole display and be clear, but a lot of space would be wasted.

This actually makes a lot more sense the more I think about it. To counteract the slowness, they should have thrown in 2GB of RAM. This would have allowed the GPU to use more VRAM at a time since the system would have more free RAM at any given time.

19. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

They can move the plus to 2208x1242 in the future without requiring any support from developers whatsoever. That could be what they're thinking. Maybe they'll go bigger next year if that's what people ask for. (I want a six inch one... haha.)

20. itjw macrumors 65816

daringfireball.net must not understand SOC's either then... LMAO

Downscaling is great. Um. SoC, and et cetera.

Don't be jelly the 6 doesn't have to. Maybe one day Apple will put a true 3x asset screen into the iPhone Titanic, but that day aint today :p

21. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You do realize that computers (including iOS devices) are doing this stuff all the time right? I have a rMBP, it's doing this 100% of the time (and I have it running at a scaled resolution too). Images on web pages are doing this very often, especially on responsive sites. Video games are scaling textures, the list goes on.

Yes, it technically will use more power, but this isn't the 90s, making it easier on developers far out weighs the downsides with today's devices.

Also, adding more RAM wouldn't make this any faster.

22. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

ZOMG if we had more RAMz the phone would be perfect! :rolleyes:

23. newone757 macrumors 6502

reviewers? i habent read them all but ive only seen one person mention it? you have links to the others?

24. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I don't remember where I've read it, maybe I only did see the one guy mention it. If I go through the reviews again I'll link it but I'm not doing that right now.