6+ verdict after 2 months: starting to feel a tad small.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJ82, Nov 30, 2014.

1. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Was super chuffed when the 6+ was released (stopped me from going over to Samsung for a phablet), and for a while I was loving it, it's so nearly perfect for me as an all-in-one device. I can browse on it for hours happily, I love reading and watching videos on it, and since I've gotten it, I've devoured loads of books at a pace I wasn't doing for years.

Recently, when doing a it of gaming on it, I've realised it's still just a little bit on the small side. For me at least, I think a 5.7inch 6+ would be the dream now. I could still live with it, still pocket it and it'd make everything just a little bit better. There is a point where size does become obtrusive for daily life, but I think now after more experience with a larger device, that that size is probably somewhere over a 6 inch screen.

FWIW, I don't have any issues with using the screen or anything. Just feels like a smartphone.

I really thought there's no way I'd upgrade again for at least another 4/5 years (I keep things I buy for a long time), but I think I would upgrade if Apple released a 5.7inch phone in a couple of years and stick to that instead.

Anyway, haven't posted here in ages, so hope everyone's enjoying their new phones :)

2. maflynn, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're going to be in the minority on that opinion. Its my opinion based on what I see here, a number of people bought the IP6+ returned it, because they felt its just too large. Others like myself are content with the model but don't want anything larger.

Samsung does make (or did) a larger phablet, perhaps that is something more to your liking.

3. primolabo macrumors member

primolabo

oh, no. I really hope Apple won't expand it further. with 16:9 ratio, which I absolutely love for movies, games and pics, that would mean a taller device, which would probably be too unbalanced for an occasional one handed use, which I need to have as an option...

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Bigger screen? Sure they already have two of them. They are called the iPad and the iPad mini. You can make phones calls with them using continuity. They basically can do everything an iPhone does.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

What are your sources about iPhone 6+ return rate?

6. maflynn, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm stating my opinion, so no sources are needed. I see a number of threads here where people returned their iPhones because it wasn't what they wanted.

Since its my opinion and not a statement of fact, I need no sources.

I updated my post, to make that point even clearer, i.e., stating my opinion. Sorry if that was not initially clear.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Fine. I didn't read any article about an higher than usual return rate for iPhone 6+, so I was wondering if you had different informations.
    I'm not taking this forum as a reliable representation of real life: people here tend to complain about everything and keep returning iDevices at an incredible high rate.

8. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I would not want a larger phone. The 6+ is pushing the limits for me.

But if you want a larger phone........
    Try the Nexus 6 ( 6 inch phone) or Note 4 ( 5.7 inch phone) Galaxy Mega ( 6.3 inch phone) or Lumia 1520 ( 6 inch phone) those are phones with bigger screens than the 5.5 inch IP6+.........

9. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Me: I'd like a 5.7inch iPhone in a couple of years.
    You: Try a 6 to 6.3inch non iPhone from current releases.

Thanks Brick :D

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that I'd want anything larger than a 5.5" screen.

11. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

No way! Larger than the 6+'s footprint is just going into a ridiculous direction. And apple won't do that, no way!

However a larger screen with the phone being the same size as the phone in the current state is not out of the question at all.
    Especially since the nexus 6 has a bigger screen but is almost the same footprint as the 6+

But as a whole I would think that the actual size of the 6+ now is where we will be for a very long time, if anything they will cut down on the bezels and make the 6 have a bigger screen and the same would go for the 6+

12. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

LOL...no problem I did add the Note 4 with a 5.7 inch screen. Since Apple does not make a phone larger than the 5.5 6+ I gave you the options available.
    Were you name calling? How old are you?

13. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Famous. Last. Words.

14. Tgrey macrumors member

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This may be anecdote but it's obvious from the larger number of posts from 6+ owners who had buyers remorse and decided to switch to the 6 than the other way around right here on this forum.

16. tritron macrumors regular

zte makes some extra large phones on cheap . I think iphone 6 plus is perfect same screen size as lg g3 and others.

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just buy an iPad Mini then and use Continuity to make your calls.

18. tritron macrumors regular

He needs custom jeans pocket.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or he can wear it around the neck like Flava Flav.

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I like the size of the 6+ and if they did increase screen I hope they would reduce the bezel to make room.

21. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Exactly. Apple needs to work on those bezels. Would love for Apple to ditch the Home button completely someday.

22. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

My verdict after 2 month : I LOVE IT !!! :D Basically the first paragraph of the first post...

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That's not anecdotal. Considering the number of iPhones sold a bunch of threads on a forum is statistically meaningless.

I was looking for a real statistic, but he clarify it was just a personal impression.

----------

Not without a smaller bezel

24. themyst macrumors 6502

They could get another .2 inches out of the current 6+ footprint if they wanted. I like the width of the 6+ honestly; it's easier to grip than my old Note 2. Just shrink bezels and they got a winner.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It still qualifies as anecdotal evidence because according to polls right here on MR taken at the time of preordering, the demand for the 6+ and 6 among members was split evenly at 50:50. Given this along with the more posts from members with 6+ (which was limited in supply) who had second thoughts about it compared to members with 6 (more plentiful in supply), this carries more weight than just dismissing it as statistically meaningless.

It's still not "real statistics," but if it were the other way around (more posts from members with the easier-to-get iPhone 6 having buyers remorse and wanted the 6+, which is constrained in supply), I'd be more inclined to say it's statistically meaningless.