6 year old on terror watch list

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 007bond, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

This doesn't make any sense. It must be a clerical error, and thus should be easy to fix.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Clearly a problem of shared names. This has happened before. Its not proof of "the government becoming more racist every day". :rolleyes:

4. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Yeah, just overlap I'd say. I know a guy called Patrick McAnee, which sounds kind of like Patrick Nee, who was a boston gunrunner. This guy gets stopped every single flight he goes on!

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

This has pop up more than once.
    The problem you run into is you have those people who are robots like and can not think for themselves and just following policy. Name matches = stops

At the same time they are punished very heavily if they go against the policy that do not allow them to think for themselves.

The higher up to make those policy get away with it because they can deflect the crap back down to the people at the bottom who are told follow the rules or basically get fired.
    It sucks but the people who are at the check points are screwed either way.

More proof that mainstream Media is crap. CNN is showing that it does not care about truth. The name matches someone they have the no-fly list.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Things may be changing as the official response from the FIB and DHS is that they expect airlines "will use common sense". This is very encouraging but still leaves some issues open.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They claim that but that same time if they let someone threw who name is on the list with out doing additional checks they get in major trouble.
    Now some information that I think would be nice to include on the list is information about race. But if they did that groups would be all over it.
    Race is a very valid descriptive of a person. Name pops up then all it has show very basic race information and age information and if the person does not match it let them threw.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

6 year old kids need to be on terrorist watch lists. They ARE little terrorist !! :p

9. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I've had to check in with american immigration since I was 14 because of where I was born, despite being a citizen. This kid's story may be an exception, but the rule stands.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes, a little more info would go a long way.

This is not a big deal and there is a good reason for the list.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It is a big deal to the family involved. Overall its an irritant to commerce and travel and nothing more.

It's a minor inconvenience. That girl was even allowed to get on the plane and fly, so I don't see any problems here.

When you have a huge list with a ton of names on it, it's not exactly shocking that a mistake might be made, or that people who have matching names to somebody on the list might be inconvenienced. Too bad for them.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sometimes the airline will not let the person fly. I didn't think the list was terribly big but no one knows.

15. awmazz macrumors 65816

Yes, there have been instances in the past where that has happened, that somebody wasn't allowed to fly. Those people probably weren't six year olds.

I don't think that anybody knows the size of the list, but I am pretty sure that it is huge. The list isn't just US-based, it is international, and there's plenty of people in the world who should be on that list and who deserve to be on that list.

They should be lucky that I'm not in charge of that list, because it would be even bigger than it is now.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I recall that there was a kid last year that was not allowed to fly. The size of the list is irrelevant really as a computer search of even a huge list just takes microseconds. The problem is that they only use names and the names are not unique. As long as the airlines are permitted to use common sense, it shouldn't matter.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

There is also something you can sign up for if your name matches another name on the list. It's like an alternate identity for flying. I don't know what it's called, but I've seen it when I check in online. It has a space for your alternate ID. As far as I can tell, this is solely for people who have names matching those on the do-not-fly list so that they don't get stopped every time, or can at least prove they are not the person on that list.

19. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

How many names of terrorists do you know, or would you prefer to simply place entire countries on the list?

Maybe your list would be based on assumed religion practiced according to color of skin and sounding of name?

I am a believer in intelligent, scientific profiling. A good profiling strategy would consist of many factors, many more than used today. A good profiling strategy should also not be hampered by disgusting PC-ness, which can be deadly.

21. awmazz macrumors 65816

Surely even a half adept bad guy would try to acquire one of these genuine alternate IDs and just walk through with his real name then? Just find someone with the same name and after a quick bit of thievery off you go for a jolly jaunt in a plane. Stealing a genuine ID to commit a crime in another country is much easier and passable than forging a fake identity, just ask the Israelis.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Must be Lionel Tate's kid. :eek:

Seems that family is really going down hill, and psycho killers are getting younger every generation.

23. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Does your good profiling strategy include searching every phone book in the nation for people who's names sound like "Osama bin Laden"? Or would you rather monitor every single person in the country over the period of a year and determine from that data who is potentially a terrorist? But why stop at a year, after all new terrorists could be propping up daily. Why not monitor every single person indefinitely?

No, every time they fly is sufficient. Those people who trigger more red-flags according to the advanced, scientifically based non-liberal and non-pc intelligent profiling system would be more thoroughly checked out than those who do not.

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Because of the willfully ambiguous nature of the "terror watch list" it is extremely hard to get off it once you are on. No matter why you were put on even if it was a mistake.

In 10-12 years when this girl is an adult she may not even be able to fly because she is un-able to get off the list.

I see no value in the clandestine nature of the terror watch list.