60 GB Color Screen Photo-Capable iPod?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
ThinkSecret has published a rumor of a new 4th generation iPod featuring a previously rumored Toshiba 60 GB hard drive. In addition to the rumored size increase the new iPod is said to have a 2-inch color liquid crystal display, iPhoto synchronization, audio/video-out capabilities, and will sell for $499. Form factor is not expected to change, although the new iPod will be slightly thicker and heavier than the present 20 and 40 GB models.

The 2-inch color screen is identical in size to other iPods, but will sport a higher resolution for photo viewing. However, the new device's real shining feature will be its video-out port, which will enable users to tote their photo galleries with them, ready to be plugged into any television for big-screen viewing.

The 60GB iPod will feature only rudimentary built-in software for viewing photos, with no editing tools, sources say. Photo albums will be navigated in a similar fashion to music playlists, and a slideshow feature will provide transitions with user-specified background music, similar to iPhoto. Synchronizing features similar to iTunes will also be added to iPhoto.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hope its true

Sign me up!

Photo slideshows WITH music, output to TV OR on the small screen (I show photos on my camera all the time, after all) is much smarter than a tiny movie player in a not-so-compact MS device.

And album art display--fun by itself, even more fun with a TV :)

(The smaller iPods could use this too, I think.)

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Man, I can use one. I almost filled my 40 gig.

I hope you can do more with the color screen -- if it's just a normal iPod screen, except in color, then that'd be kind of lame.

.narco

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
iPhoto for Windows?

I have often thought that the iPod would eventualy include iPhoto integration, but what about Windows users? Will this mean the porting of the iLife apps to Windows? How can they add a feature like this an exclude the majority of iPod users? If they want to sell them then they will have to offer Windows support. And of course if they port iLife why not everything else? They will make a killing on the software sales alone.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the size could push me to upgrade from my 15 which is unable to hold my library anymore, but i would like to see just a plain 60gb iPod as well, i dont need all the other fluff to be honest, but cool nonetheless

Bastich

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
It's about time, but it will be almost pointless unless the screen is made considerably larger. And I want a proper memory card reader!

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
narco said:
I hope you can do more with the color screen -- if it's just a normal iPod screen, except in color, then that'd be kind of lame.
What do you mean? The point of the color screen is so you can view photos... what else do you want? :confused:

Frankly, I'm not sure about this one... who wants to carry all of their digital pictures with them everywhere?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I wouldn't believe it if anyone other than ThinkSecret had reported it. I look forward to it!

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
i have a feeling that viewing images on the screen will be less than impressive.... the video out really has potential. I also wouldn't count on movies, that is going to require alot of power out of that little iPod. To be honest I am just happy to see it up to 60gb, I have out grown my 30.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Windows version of iPhoto

rendezvouscp said:
Let's see some photos! No, really, this poses two problems: no market to PC users unless the begin porting iPhoto or use another PC app, and power. Interesting concept though.
–Chase
Probably wouldn't need iPhoto for the PC, just a sync option added to iTunes to upload the raw files. Windows XP already has image browsing software built in.
I would expect a .1 upgrade to both iTunes Mac and Windows to accommodate the image transfer.
I agree about the need for a big-butt battery. Even the small screen will eat it up. Color cell phones show that.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Re who wants to carry all your photos... I do! I'm always being asked to show something, or wanting to show something, and don't have my PB on hand. And you could load it with images from Keynote etc. and give presentations with audio too. I know, not the main idea... but useful for some.

Re playing .movs... yes that would be fun, but just for little clips (like my still cam will take). It's not vital, and not for feature films.

Re lack of editing tools :D I don't know why that TS note cracks me up.

Re PC support: at worst, they'd just drag the photos into the folder. Just like Notes. And third-party apps would spring up to automate this for sure, even without Win iPhoto. (But iPhoto is one of my favorite apps, and I'm sure it would go over well for Windows.)

Re screen size: My camera's screen is 1.6" and I show photos on that all the time. Plus TV output makes this even more ideal.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Great news! It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise though, as we knew Toshiba was indeed manufacturing these drives a while ago. Still though, the color screen would be a nice touch, although my first concern would be what that does to the iPod's battery life. Perhaps Apple's efforts to increase battery life in the 4G iPods will be all for not now with a color screen sucking all that extra juice up. ;) Regardless, great news, and I can't wait to see this thing!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
quackattack said:
i have a feeling that viewing images on the screen will be less than impressive.... the video out really has potential. I also wouldn't count on movies, that is going to require alot of power out of that little iPod. To be honest I am just happy to see it up to 60gb, I have out grown my 30.
I agree - unless Apple builds one hell of a color screen into this thing, viewing pictures on the iPod itself will probably be less than stellar - and if APple did build an amazing screen into it, you can kiss your battery life good bye. ;) I think the screen will be useful for previewing and whatnot, but the new iPod will really shine when it comes to this video out port, and being able to run slideshows, etc. from the iPod. That's going to be slick! :cool:

And yes, although movies would be cool, they, too would drain the battery fairly significantly, and Jobs has said before that this wasn't the aim of the iPod - yet, at least. ;) I think playing video clips will be wishful thinking, but the photo aspect is great and quite viable.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
eh color screens are lame. the new iRiver player has a color screen, and it looks lame. that and it's trying to be the antiPod, with black plastic instead of white. but the screen is still lame. but if it's absolutely necessary, no one's stopping anyone from buying what they absolutely must have.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Movies would be hard if not impossiable on the batteries used by apple...

I really really believe that apple will make a 60gig and have video-out, but i don't think they will have a color screen. they might but i dont thinks so. IF they do have iphoto integration, they WON'T port iPhoto to pc. they will have another product (like musicmatch) or a crappier version for them.