600 MBs in 3 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitman0304, Sep 24, 2012.

1. hitman0304 macrumors member

Not that data is a big issue to me since I have unlimited with AT&T, but I am just wondering what is using up so much data on my Iphone 5. I'm mostly always on WIFI. I tested the LTE for a little bit but haven't really used it for much other than just browsing websites. The only thing I can think of is ITunes Match. I use that but I must have only used it off WIFI for maybe a total of 10 songs. So I can't attribute all the data to that.

Anyone else seeing a high usage of data without complete explanation with this new LTE?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I used 350 MB on my first day with Verizon LTE. My 2nd day I stayed on Wi-Fi the entire time, so it was me just testing out the network. :)

3. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

same here i used about 50o0 mb since launch on verizon

and i only have teh 2 gb data plan!!!!

does imessage use alot of data? also im always on the sportacular app, im sure it uses data everytime i refresh

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I know I ran a lot of speed tests while I was out. Those use up quite a chunk of data each time they are run!

5. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

i did that as well. probbaly used a bunch doing that

6. JesalTV Guest

Bizarrely enough, mine seems absurdly low - 8.0mb sent, 24.1mb received.

And I've done 4 journey with the Maps satnav.

Weird. Good weird, though.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The speedtest app downloads and uploads for a fixed amount of *time*, not *data*.

Therefore, while a speedtest might have only used about a meg or two before, now with LTE a speed test might use 20 or 30 megs!

So be mindful about how much you speedtest if you have a limited data plan, or you might find yourself running out within a week. Besides, with LTE the answer to "how fast is it?" is almost always "very". No need to be testing so much. :)

8. IndoX macrumors regular

I used 600mb the first day since I was testing how fast LTE is. Since I moved over from sprint my bill date ended the next day and my data refreshed back to zero on Verizon. Since the 22nd I've only used 64mb of data since I have wifi at work and home.

9. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I did about 10 tests on LTE and uploaded some photos and even downloaded an app over the weekend, all off Wifi. So far my current usage through yesterday is only 72MB. Not sure what to tell you. I always close my apps whenever possible, too.

10. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

And this is why I will hold onto my $23 a month after corp. discount unlimited data with VZW as long as I can. I had read too many stories from the Android side about people with LTE burning through data.

11. missing.link macrumors newbie

Sounds pretty low, actually.

For the billing period ending around October 17th, I've used 18 gb of data.

12. hitman0304 thread starter macrumors member

Don't they throttle you?

13. satchow macrumors 6502

You guys been running SpeedTest over and over?

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Are you auto downloading apps etc via devices?

Maps crushed my data allowance and i'm on 3G :D

15. formerpc macrumors 6502

I'm seeing high usage but that's because I'm taking full advantage of my unlimited data on Verizon. 3GB in my first 24 hrs of having the phone. ^_^

16. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

For those questioning the high usage, are you determining how much you used by looking at the phone? You might want to check with your cellular provider (usually you can look up data usage on their website). There have been reports of the iPhone 5 severely overestimating the amount of data used. Some people have mentioned that they think it's counting Wifi Data as cellular.

See this thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452072&highlight=data+usage

Some people were seeing several hundred MB on the phone, but then barely 100MB according to their provider.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

No one believe me when I said their usage would go up when they get LTE. The ability to do more faster is likely to increase usage.

18. matttye macrumors 601

Mine's extremely low... 7.6MB since yesterday :D

19. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I bet that what they been doing... each test is around 35-50mb :D

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That was me the first day. I ran so many speeds tests. Once I figured out that was the culprit of my usage issues I've been monitoring and I am not using any more data than in the past.

21. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

360 MB between two phones. I use my phone a lot but mostly if not over 80% of the time over wifi. Wifi at work, wifi at home. Only LTE I use is when I test the network or when I am out and about.

22. Mikegryo, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Mikegryo macrumors newbie

Yes! My Cellular Usage on my iPhone (in Settings) is showing 700 MB received since Friday (note that there is a discrepancy somewhere, because My Verizon reports that I currently have used 438 MB of data). I don't stream much video or any music. Mostly just check Facebook, Twitter, look at a couple of web pages. I DID run a SpeedTest 2-3 times on Saturday which accounts for a nice chunk of data on My Verizon, but the largest chunks from that date on the Verizon report show 4:27 AM. Is the timing on these reports off?

Also, at least once, usually twice, a day the report shows a 10-30 MB usage and I can't figure out what this is. I'm definitely not downloading apps every day or streaming video/audio. Any idea what these could be? Is there an app that tells you which apps are using how much data?

I'm confused and really don't want to bust over my 2 GB limit on the first month off of unlimited data.

I remember checking my iPhone 4's Cellular Usage before I switched phones and I think I used 2 GB of data in like 6 months. What the hell is going on?!?!

23. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

This seems to be true for me. My iPhone 5 says I've used a total of 638 MB, while AT&T says I've used 332 MB. I'm assuming the phone is also taking Wi-Fi data into account.

24. Mikegryo macrumors newbie

I've also been watching my Celluar Data usage in Settings today at work. I do not have any sort of Wi-Fi here, strictly on LTE. So far, since about 8:30 AM, my Celluar Usage has gone from ~650 MB to 702 MB. All I have done is gone on Facebook and Twitter, and did a quick app search in the App Store to see if there were any data tracking apps (didn't download anything). How could I have used over 50 MB already today just from this? Absurd.