$600 to have Logic Board, Super Drive and front bezel case replaced.. Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AsianGIRLpure, Nov 13, 2009.

1. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

I contacted apple to argue for their original quote which is $1200:eek:, the first representative couldn't get it done since he didn't have the authority, but he got me to talk with a senior advisor, after probably 1 hour arguement, she said $900:( would be the bottom line. Then I mentioned i had my LB replaced last year for $310 due to the KNOWN video card issue, and most importantly there are no physical damages on on my computer back then, whcih means i'm eligible for the refund policy, also I stated an issue I posted here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=819175.. then she agreed to reduce the quote to $600, so what do u guys think, is it worth going for it?

PS: my MBP896 is middle 2007 version.

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Wow! $600 is a really good deal if you ask me. I would have spent $2000 on 2 logic boards and one new superdrive this year. This was covered by AppleCare. But only $600 is quite cheap if you ask me.

3. dandaman2 macrumors regular

very good deal. I tend to do diagnostic work with the genius bar if I don't know what's going on and self-repair with iFixit parts and guides when necessary. Apple's repairs are fairly overpriced.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, that's fantastic. $1200 is a fairly realistic price estimate in my experience. Of course, you still have to ask yourself if your computer is worth that much vs. buying a new one. If you had to sell it for parts, the LCD alone would fetch a good $300.

5. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Logic Boards alone can run you $600, take the deal

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You do have to realize that machine isn't even worth 600 now.

7. yukio macrumors regular

a refurbished 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro is $1299 at the Apple Store as I type this.

it's got 9600GT graphics (vs 8600) and a 250GB drive (vs 160GB).

i don't see how those two features are worth $700, which is the extra you'd pay to replace what you have vs. fix it.

on the other hand - and not knowing anything about what happened or your financial circumstance - if you need to buy equipment this year for tax purposes, a refurbed or new machine would qualify but a repair to an existing machine would not.

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

DDR3, Unibody, LED. Go get one today!