Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

60GB iPods - Not Soon?

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Rule #1 of being a supplier to Apple:
DON'T PREANNOUNCE THEIR PRODUCTS.

ATI learned that good and well, and now Toshiba's finding out the same thing.
No 60GB iPods until Steve cools down.

Comment

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
GRRR.

Why is it the things most people want will not be around "anytime soon."

For example: the G5 PowerBook... "not anytime soon"
Now the 60GB iPod!

Anyway, I was really really hoping for a 60GB iPod, I guess I'll just have to wait.

Comment

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Hmm... so do I choose not to believe him, and keep waiting, or do I purchase the 40GB?

Ahh, heck. I'm upgrading because my 15gb is getting full... I don't need a 60.

/me places order.

Comment

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
xtbfx said:
GRRR.

For example: the G5 PowerBook... "not anytime soon"
Now the 60GB iPod!

Anyway, I was really really hoping for a 60GB iPod, I guess I'll just have to wait.

Yeah! I sent a request to Apple for a Quad 4.0ghz G5 and a 52 inch display and the told me "not anytime soon" WTF? :p

Comment

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
I am glad they have brought the prices down on the 20 and 40GB models, but I am not going to spend the money on a new iPod until the 60GB comes out, whether that is in 1 month, 6 months, or 2 years.

My big sad old brick of a 2G is still chugging along well enough.

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
They'll be out as soon as Apple has sufficient quantities of the 60GB drives from Toshiba. I'd rather them hold off on announcing it like they're doing today than to do so prematurely and then not have any to sell for the next 2 months.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'll take Joswiak's word for that...

After the initial G5 release he said "No G5 PB anytime soon".. none arrived... when G4 where refreshed a few months back, again he said "No G5 PB anytime soon"... still none..

Because of this, I'll believe Joswiak when he says no 60Gig iPod soon...

Its not in Apple's interest to release a product after they've just said "this product won't be released anytime soon".. they'll lose face, plus a lot of pissed off customers.

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
xtbfx said:
GRRR.

How do you qualify "most"? I would say less than 50% want a 60G iPod on this forum, and this forum probably has a concentration of such people. I would imagine the general public accounts for a very small portion. After all, the 3G 40G (that's Generation, Gigabyte) iPod wasn't the top iPod seller.

With all that being said, and the existence of a 60G drive of the same form factor as the 40G drive, wouldn't it be a reasonable assumtion to do a drive-ectomy on a 40G iPod to give it the extra 20 gigs? My 40G iPod says "37.2 Gigabytes" which implies there's some noodle in the OS responsible for reading the physical drivespace, rather than just being hardcoded. So, why not drop a 60G into the 40G chasis?

Comment

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I'd buy a 60gig if it had video out. Other than that I'd have no use for 60gigs of music, but I am sure there are people out there that would fill that up. Especially if they were using Apple Lossless to encode their music.

Comment

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
There is no reason that both could be true. No 60Gb iPod soon, but Apple could have ordered those 60Gb drives for use in something else. I'm not going to speculate what right now but I'm sure other will be shouting vPod (video iPod) or something pretty soon. Hopefully something more interesting than that from my point of view though.

Comment

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
mainstreetmark said:
How do you qualify "most"?

Well on Spymac, MacRumors, etc. message boards, there was huge speculation about 60GB iPods and G5 Powerbooks back in the day.

Maybe it was just one person posting multiple times. lol

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
xtbfx said:
Well on Spymac, MacRumors, etc. message boards, there was huge speculation about 60GB iPods and G5 Powerbooks back in the day.

Maybe it was just one person posting multiple times. lol

Well, go walk down the street and ask people what their spymac username is. If I'm right, they'll be like "what the hell is spymac and quit bothering me".

I still think it's a vast minority of iPod owners.

Comment

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
There's no reason not to believe him. Why would he lie? Most people don't have a reason to have a 60 GB iPod. The people that have 60+ GB of music either has been collecting music on CDs for a quite a while, or most likely they stole most of their music anyways.

There's no need for video out or anything else like that. The iPod is a simple device designed to do a very simple thing, and thats store/play your music. Its not made to view videos, or look at photos. Sure, Apple has made it so that it can do some other simple things, like store your photos, play audio books, and record voice, but those are simple little things that don't require adding another button, or port which would further complicate the device.

When Joz says not anytime soon then I don't think you'll see it for quite a while. I'd say sometime next year. I'd say this is the last iPod update for this year. Other will think I'm wrong, but they're just hoping that Apple updates them again. In my opinion, Apple spends too much time on it and needs to start focusing back on its main income, which is its computers. He didn't lie about the PowerBook G5 and he didn't lie about some other things either. So there's no reason to even think about doubting him.

Comment

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Sabbath said:
There is no reason that both could be true. No 60Gb iPod soon, but Apple could have ordered those 60Gb drives for use in something else. I'm not going to speculate what right now but I'm sure other will be shouting vPod (video iPod) or something pretty soon. Hopefully something more interesting than that from my point of view though.

Well both could be true. Maybe Apple did order those 60GB Toshiba HDDs, but when Toshiba opened its big mouth and said something about it, then maybe Apple canceled that order. So maybe Apple is waiting for another vendor to produce 60GB 1.8" HDDs.

There's no use at all for a Video iPod. The iPod wasn't designed to be a video player. Who in the hell would want to watch a video on a 2" screen, or even a 4, or 6" screen? Certainly not me!

Comment

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
mklos said:
Most people don't have a reason to have a 60 GB iPod. The people that have 60+ GB of music either has been collecting music on CDs for a quite a while, or most likely they stole most of their music anyways.

I agree most people probably don't, it would be a high-end product. But remember that CDs have been out over 20 years and some of us have well over 1000 which would be just great to put on a single device.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
In this Reuters article, Apple's vice president of hardware product marketing, Greg Joswiak, played down rumors of a 60GB iPod model.

Joswiak states "We have no plans in regard to announcing 60-gigabyte models, We are trying to create a much more compelling lineup with two models for 20 and 40 gigabytes at extremely compelling prices"

Rumors of a 60GB iPod started with a premature Toshiba announcement that Apple had already ordered the 60GB 1.8" drives.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Right, because Apple needs to pack Wifi for Airtunes in the 60GB flagship model!! :D

And, the Toshiba drives weren't supposed to be showing up in the marketplace until late August or early September. Hmmf...I guess we wait; no big deal.

Comment

ArticulatedArm

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
Someone in another thread had a great idea when they said these 60 GB models could be for the new ultra small iMac.

But will they be available in time for the iMac?

Comment

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Aww, nuts . . .

But then again what's soon. . . ?

I wouldn't call 1 month from now at Paris soon. I'd call that a little ways away. Steve needs "One more thing" anyways.

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Not an iPod perhaps?

60gb media player/home on iPod device instead then? The Windows media devices are arriving soon, Apple will eventually respond. Anyway, never trust an announcment by a V.P of anything, all they do is spin.

Comment

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
No, it's wrong...

ArticulatedArm said:
Someone in another thread had a great idea when they said these 60 GB models could be for the new ultra small iMac.

But will they be available in time for the iMac?

I don't see apple putting those ultra-slow HD's in a mac, no matter if power or i , it's plenty out of sense ... no slower than 7200 rpm in the next iMacs ...

Comment

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I don't think it's a bad thing if they focus on other things right now.
Things like making iPods avalible for folks with less $.

An iPod in every home, hand and pocket is what Apple should be going.

Comment

Vagcmyevad

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2002
Maybe Steve had something to do with this?

He probably wasn't happy when Toshiba announced that Apple had ordered the new 60 GB drives...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.