60W MagSafe—What to do with long cord

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mrs HBF, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

The website says this:

I'm lost on the above. I just bunch it together and put it in the side pocket of my laptop case. What are they talking about in the above? What gets wrapped around what?

The cord is very long and I've read reviews of how happy users are that they no longer trip over it. What's your secret? This thing is VERY long as I have the 3 pronged plug in use.

Thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Look on the corners of the power supply on the side where the power lead goes to the Mac. There are two hinged flippy-out bits you can wrap the cord around if you get your fingernails beneath them and flip them open.

3. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

The AC adapter is able to be used in two modes.

You can do it the way I use it everyday for travel, disconnect the long sucker coming out of the brick, and flip it out for the AC plug that came in the box. That way it's like this.

Then you wrap the cord that goes to the MBP around these flippy things.

By the way who can spot the difference in these pictures? One of these is not like the others.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. maehara macrumors regular

...and in the 4 years I've had my MBP, I've never noticed that. You learn something new every day. :D

5. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I wrap the Magsafe part of the cable around the 2 prongs, and then wrap the 3-prong connector cable around the whole unit, perpendicular to the Magsafe-connected part.

IMO it's kind of necessary to bring along the 3-prong extension cord, I always have it on. Would be difficult to fit into certain outlets, and it's rare that I can find an outlet less than 6 feet away from a laptop (including the drop from cable to ground... don't want a cable floating for an easy kick)

6. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

The corners of the power supply? You mean that "cube" in which an end of the 3 pronged plug is attached? If the apple on the cube is facing you right-side up, then I can lift the upper right-hand corner. Is that what you do and then you wrap the cords around it? I'm sorry if I'm not getting it.

I always use the 3 prong plug with the long cord. You don't? Or am I lost there too?

The first and second pictures...is that the 2 pronged plug? If so, I thought you needed the 3 prong for the grounding. Our surge protector is way under the desk and we have an extension cord from the protector which I use to plug the MBP. Sure the cord is long enough but I don't want to crawl under the desk each time I take the MBP with me. And I always take the plug because I use my MBP all day.

What's different about the 3rd picture?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

8. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//this is for the long 3 prong cable
    [​IMG]
    Use the little slit at the top to secure the strap around the cable (making it a semi-permenant solution), wrap/loop power cord to desired length, then loop the velcro around that.

Though if you're like me (with two AC adapters), one is to the desk along with the rest of my electronics with lots of cable management stuff so it's hidden but immovable.

The other AC adapter walks around with me with the above setup.

10. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

While my thank you is very much late, I do want to thank you budman1061. Now THAT I understand. I didn't know I had a clip on the cord until I saw the video. Thanks.

11. ramzhh macrumors regular

And I thought the flappy things were made so when you open them it would be easier to put in and take out the wire that goes IN the adapter!

12. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Attached Files: