64-bit chip? (merged)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beosound3200, Aug 25, 2013.

1. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

9to5Mac link

what would be the benefits of 64bit architecture in iphone?

sorry, im bored :)

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If we go up to 64 bit computing in mobile telephony, it would mean supporting more than 4GB of RAM and possibly processing a little more quickly. It would allow for more advanced apps to function faster by addressing more RAM. For this to happen, we would need to have an ARM Processor capable of 64 bit computing, then have iOS support 64 bit, and then finally apps to be written to support 64 bit.

3. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

This means the next iPhone will be an absolute SCREAMER! Can't wait to come back to iPhone! :D

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Oh I forgot to mention that 64 bit architecture would also allow for more efficient use of RAM which would increase the speed. This helps make all the NAND flash storage in our device more efficient because we don't have to constantly page the storage. If Apple switched up to 64 bit for the A7, iOS7, and a couple of key apps, consumers would see a pretty large increase in performance for main functions. The increased efficiency may also save some battery life theoretically but in practice, it probably won't happen.

5. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

aside from addressing larger amount of ram, are there any other benefits?

the link i posted says that animations and transparencies would appear faster, which doesnt make sense

just like you, i thought the only difference between 32 and 64 bit is ram addressing, thats why im asking, any other benefits?

i mean, we have 1gb of ram now, is there a need for 64 bit computing?

----------

oh well, thats something :)

6. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Thus far, 1Gb of ram has been plenty for me...I just don't see anymore useful at all given our current ability to use our phones. Android loves to stuff a lot of bells and whistles into their phones, so they could probably see a benefit, but iPhones just don't need more right now.

7. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

exactly

8. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

All of the benefits lead to better performance. You don't have to have more RAM for the benefits to be present.

9. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats certainly good to hear

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If the new animations in iOS7 use logic calcs for it's animations and the current animations are lagging right now, we will see smoother animations with 64 bit processing and a 64 bit iOS. Basically going from 32 bit to 64 bit opens up a lot of possibilities. It would allow for more complex calcs to occur on the system which could lead to a full Photoshop or Aperture app for iOS. It's actually pretty prudent planning if Apple decided to go 64 bit while we are currently using 1GB of RAM or less on mobile devices. Personally, I'm hoping that iOS usurps OSX so that we can all use lower power devices for processing as well as interaction with data. The whole point of going up to 64 bit would be to "future-proof" iOS for the next iteration of products. Imagine if Apple was to bring a 64 bit ARM based Macbook Air with Retina display of some sort, battery life ranging in the 1 week area, nearly 1TB of flash storage running on PCIe, and a capacitive touchscreen to boot. Couple that with advanced photo editing software, advanced video editing software, and advanced audio software and it could change the way we work with those mediums. For a mobile device, it would definitely make it capable of doing more with less.

11. kevink2 macrumors 65816

The added RAM for now, once RAM usage starts to get over 3GB (plus I/O space).

In the more further future, it would allow Apple to consolidate on 64 bit for OS level functions desktop/ios. But that would be well in the future.

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Performance would suffer too much. As impressive as ARM is in the mobile field, they're a long ways off from matching intel's offerings in notebooks and desktops.

13. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'm thinking x64 won't come until the iPhone 6. But the quicker Apple implements it, the quicker apps are developed to utilize it. There's no major benefit of 64-bit processors without 64-bit applications (the same problem exists with PCs, but all new computers have 64-bit processors now so that'll change quickly.)

14. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

How is 64bit going revolutionize the phone industry?

I am technically illiterate but what exactly are the advantages of 64bit and how is it so revolutionary?

a7 5x faster than the a6 because its 64bit or because of different architecture

15. terzinator macrumors 6502

I have no idea, but ... SQUIRREL!!!

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Apple released an earth shaker today. 64 bit means being able to page more than 4 GB of RAM, faster/more efficient 64 bit application loading/use, and most importantly larger numbers.... That means more capability in the future and currently more efficient usage.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Revolution - if that's what hey said, a very large exaggeration. More like evolution.

18. rovex macrumors 65816

Not much good with 1 gig ram.

19. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

20. Simplyiphone macrumors newbie

Simplyiphone

With 1GB of ram its not really going to shine

21. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

how are you guys even already sure of the 1gb ram?

22. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

64-bit chip?

What gives? I hear from people this new 64-bit chip is a gimmick. That it will not boost performance unless you have 4GB of RAM and memory hungry applications which don't exist on iOS. On the other hand, bigger instruction sets will allow the kernel to do more with less but it all depends on how iOS 7 is engineered to take advantage of this from the ground up. Your thoughts?

23. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

Reminds me of desktop computers years ago... "Who needs more than 4GB of RAM? lulz"

24. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

64 bit processor can just address more than 4GB of ram. That isn't the only thing it can do however...

25. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

I'm sure theres more to it than just RAM, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered for another few years. Does help lay the groundwork though for the time when 4GB of RAM comes to phones. 64bit apps will be ubiquitous by then.