64 bit win: texting via iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoblaed, Sep 20, 2013.

1. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Texting via iMessage is much faster.

Took me a second to realize why. All iMessage messages are encrypted. Encryption wins big with 64 bit over 32 bit. It's a very noticeable speed gain.

It's the little things that make life nice. :)

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Cool find, however, how much faster can it get? All my iMessages send instantly on my 4S, unless I'm sending a few pics over. I suppose if it sends pics instantly, that would be excellent.

Cant wait to give my friends newly acquired 5S a test drive when I get home! Although he hasn't been able to activate it yet (Verizon) lol.

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Ooh neat. I can't wait for my 5s to come in!!!

4. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

While the A7 is twice as fast, the encryption process is so fast that the difference in performance in negligible. Either you have been using an iPhone 4 with lots of apps open, or the difference shouldn't be even noticable at all.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

6. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Siri is also much faster than the 5. Since the hard work siri has to do is actually not done on your phone, but is done by Apple's siri servers, I imagine that traffic to/from the siri servers is also encrypted, hence the visibly large performance increase.

7. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I actually noticed a significant increase in iMessage sending / receiving as well. I thought it was because of LTE (I upgraded from a 4S) but this makes a lot more sense

8. eoblaed, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I was using a 5 before. I also held off from making this post until my phone had been fully restored and I'd spent the day with my normal usage patterns (I got my phone at 8am mountain time -- I've been using it pretty much non-stop for the last 10+ hours).

Any form of encryption will see a huge performance bump in a 64 bit architecture. The reasons why are a bit beyond the scope of this forum, but it's due to the nature of how encryption/decryption works.

Clearly the 5S doesn't employ noticeably faster networking. Yet, the difference is obvious. I've had two other people offer unsolicited comments to me regarding the same thing: iMessage texting is much faster.

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

if you say encrypting or encryption one more time I'm gonna get a headache :rolleyes:

10. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

An encrypted headache..now thats a #@&@....encryption

11. wovel macrumors 68000

An iPhone 4 with lots of Apps open would not be noticeably different than an iPhone 4 with 1 APP open. I suppose if you strategically opened 10 apps that were all keeping alive their background download window and 10 more GPS apps, you might notice.

12. Serelus, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

It's probably an improvement to iOS or iMessage itself rather then the speed at which the 64-bit architechture handles the encryption process, like I said before; The encryption process is too fast for you to notice any differences.

I was kind of just putting a number out there... while 10 probably wouldn't make a difference, i've noticed on my old iPhone 4 that leaving to many apps in their "frozen" state, makes the flash on the camera go off to late. It's a minor performance drop, but it's very much apparant.

13. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I was using iMessage on my 5, running iOS 7, right up until they activated my 5S.

I understand your point about the encryption being so fast as to be unnoticeable ... text messages are, after all, miniscule. Yet, my 5 enjoyed no speed increase for iMessaging when using the same OS and same iMessage that my 5S uses. And keep in mind, iMessage on the 5 wasn't particularly slow, there was just a tiny pause before the message was actually sent that just isn't there on the 5S. It may not amount to much time, but it's plainly obvious. It's possible the previous versions of the hardware were just really bad at encryption (sorry tymaster50 ;)) and introduced a slight bit of delay where there shouldn't have been any.

Again, Siri is also much faster (at least with dictation tasks, that's what I use her for mostly). Since the real work of audio -> text is not done on the phone, and since that audio is most likely encrypted before being sent to Siri's servers, it's a corroborating piece of evidence.

14. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I understood your point, and while I realise that the same Operating Systems are running on both devices, apple probably improved on iMessage for the 5S specifically. Like you said yourself the messages send by iMessage are miniscule, the encryption would take less then a 10th of second to process. My guess is that is was something else causing the delay. I wouldn't know what though.

15. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Yeah... like 64 bit encryption. zing! :p (sorry, couldn't resist).

Well, we'll agree to disagree. :) But the point remains, several of those similar types of tasks are markedly faster on the 5S.

16. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

iMessages now send in 2 seconds instead of three. Lmao

17. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5s-64-bit-a7-processor/

If true, there is your answer.

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

We don't actually know how the processing load is shared between Siri and the servers in Apple data centres. We do know that Apple servers are required but there might well be more going on on the iPhone than simply encrypting the raw audio data and sending it up to an Apple server for analysis. It's possible that there is some initial feature recognition going on on the iPhone before the resulting data is sent to the server. This would make sense since it would reduce the amount of data that needs to be sent over the network and also reduce the load on the servers since they would have less work to do if some of the early processing stages have been done already.

Personally I think that Siri is an area that will benefit enormously from 64-bit and allow more of the processing to happen on the phone, maybe even giving some fully offline capability in the future.