64 GB 3rd gen iPod Touch: very slow skipping through songs with lyrics?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by evilspoons, Dec 29, 2010.

1. evilspoons macrumors member

As the title says, I have a 64 GB iPod Touch, 3rd generation. I got it a week or two after they were released and have since upgraded it to all the latest iOS versions. I am currently running 4.2.1.

I have something in the range of 7000-9000 songs on it at all times. With iOS 4.0, I was able to press 'shuffle' on the all songs list and just skip through songs quickly.

Now that I am on 4.2.1 (this MAY have happened on 4.1 as well, I do not remember) the thing is slower than bloody molasses at the north pole when skipping songs when the lyrics display is on. If you skip to a song and it has lyrics, the UI will freeze and continue to display the previous song for something like 6 to 10 seconds. In this time the music plays properly (the new song is playing, not the old one) but I can't do anything.

As you might imagine, this makes it hard to skip through songs until I hear something I like then hit the Genius button (this is how I usually pick what I want to listen to in the car).

Any ideas? Is it just the quantity of songs? Are my lyrics somehow corrupt? ARghh!! :confused:

2. evilspoons thread starter macrumors member

I have removed about 1000 songs from the iPod - I'm now sitting at 8,015 (previously 9000+). It's still screwy when the lyrics display is on. Ideas? :confused: