646-lb. catfish, may be world's largest

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I hooked one like this one time, but it got away :eek:

Story on SI.com is linked here

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Thai fishermen caught a 293-kilogram (646-pound) catfish that may have been the world's largest freshwater fish, wildlife conservation groups said.

The Mekong giant catfish was netted by villagers in a remote part of northern Thailand, the World Wildlife Fund and the National Geographic Society said in a statement.

When wildlife officials caught wind of the catch they urged the villagers to release the adult male so that it could spawn, but it later died and was eaten, the groups said. They did not say when the massive fish was caught.

The fish was the heaviest recorded since Thai officials started tracking the species in 1981 and may be the largest freshwater fish ever discovered, the statement said.
Woof, Woof - Dawg

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've caught a big catfish before, but this makes mine look like a guppy. I wonder what bait they used?

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
When wildlife officials caught wind of the catch they urged the villagers to release the adult male so that it could spawn, but it later died and was eaten, the groups said. They did not say when the massive fish was caught.

How long can that fish live out of water? By the time anyone "caught wind" of this thing is was already in a dozen pieces :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
roadapple said:
How long can that fish live out of water?
From my experience it depends on the species. Bluegill can't last long out of the water. However with catfish, they usually can go a while out of the water.

I caught a bluegill, unhooked it, then threw it back in the water and saw it floating dead soon after :( But with catfish I've caught, we brought them home and they were still alive. And that was a few hours later.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Had a salt water catfish stick in my leg by its side fin as a boy. My uncle caught two on one line (separate hooks), and my dad slammed it down on the pier to get it off the hook. It bounced up and stuck in my leg. I was hopping around yelling. Had to go to the hospital. Ah, vacation memories! :p

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
MacDawg said:
Had a salt water catfish stick in my leg by its side fin as a boy. My uncle caught two on one line (separate hooks), and my dad slammed it down on the pier to get it off the hook. It bounced up and stuck in my leg. I was hopping around yelling. Had to go to the hospital. Ah, vacation memories! :p

Woof, Woof - Dawg
Holy hell! The fin on that fish could kill someone :eek:

Or a few people

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I was just in Bangkok and that is one thing I noticed. The catfish were huge. Tons of them too. I wouldn't have even needed a fishing pole, just a net. I took some pictures of them , I'll post them when ever I post back at my computer.

jon

spacefreak4

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2005
Virginia
tech4all said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've caught a big catfish before, but this makes mine look like a guppy. I wonder what bait they used?
Not just bait, but how did they net it, without a net breaking, and then pull it up? Unless they were using a crane for mass fishing... That thing is huge!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
what would you do if you were swimming and you saw that behemoth...i would prob need a new bathing suit ;) :eek:
Their going to need a lot of press n seal (anyone see the commercial with the guy ice fishing and he catches the big fish...)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
dsharits said:
Don't you mean, "I wonder who they used for bait"? :p

They used a net, but still, that couldn't have been easy to get on the ship or to shore....damn.

And I don't know if I'd want to eat any of that - its got to be a bit tough, but I imagine it could have fed the whole village and more :D

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Catfish meat is dirty. Catfish eat the sh*t from the bottom of lakes and rivers.